Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are common in children, but they can go unnoticed. That’s because UTI symptoms in children can be hard to spot — especially in babies and young children who can’t yet describe how they’re feeling. A UTI in kids can happen when germs get into the urinary system or “tract.” A UTI usually isn’t cause for concern — most kids get one at some point. But our pediatric urologists at Nemours can help if your child’s symptoms become more troublesome than usual or they keep getting a UTI (called a “recurrent UTI,” “recurring UTI” or “chronic UTI”).
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Advanced Care for Urinary Tract Infection in Kids
Conditions Related to Recurrent UTIs
A UTI in kids can keep happening or children may be more likely to get a recurrent UTI if they have other conditions like:
- hydronephrosis (an enlargement of one or both kidneys due to backup or blockage of urine flow)
- infrequent urination (not peeing often enough)
- vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) (a condition a child is born with when the pee flows backward from the bladder to the ureters — the thin, tube-like structures that carry pee from the kidney to the bladder)
- voiding dysfunction (when a child doesn’t relax the muscles properly while peeing)
Chronic UTI Services We Offer
For kids who keep getting a UTI, treatment options are often based on the cause of the infection. Our services — which may vary depending on your child’s specific condition, the location you visit, and the doctor your child sees — may include:
- advanced imaging of the urinary tract using ultrasound, X-ray, CT scan or MRI
- lab testing, including urine analysis or culture (which just involves collecting your child’s urine — pee — in a cup)
- prescription or intravenous (IV) medications to help with infection and/or pain
- surgery, if needed, including minimally invasive procedures (when appropriate) that use a tiny cut instead of a large incision to help kids recover faster, with less pain and scarring
Why Choose Us for Your Child’s Chronic UTI
When your child needs care for ongoing UTIs, you can trust the urology team at Nemours. Our team is highly experienced with this common problem and in helping kids stay comfortable and relaxed during tests and treatments.
Regional Urinary Tract Infection Care Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.