The Pediatric Pulmonology Fellowship Program at the Nemours Children’s Hospital, Delaware, in affiliation with Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University (TJU), trains physicians in advanced skills in pediatric pulmonology. Our three-year program, accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) , provides diverse clinical and research-based experience that can lead to specialty certification.
You’ll have numerous opportunities to build your knowledge base and refine your clinical and research skills through regular contact with a diverse population of pediatric inpatients and outpatients.
Our Fellowship Program
Our pediatric pulmonary fellowship program balances clinical experience with research training.
The program seeks to:
- train physicians in diagnostic and therapeutic methods for inpatient, outpatient and consultative pediatric pulmonary medicine
- provide strong clinical expertise in the care of children with a wide range of pulmonary disorders
- educate physician colleagues in pulmonary diseases
- advance medical research in the field of pulmonary medicine through clinical or laboratory-based research projects
- help physicians prepare for and develop their pulmonary professional careers
The clinical experience includes a balance of inpatient and outpatient opportunities to refine your clinical skills.
Training in a Wide Range of Conditions:
- disorders of the upper airway
- neuromuscular diseases
- congenital disorders of the lower airways
- mechanical-ventilator dependent patients
- cystic fibrosis
- interstitial lung disease
- disorders of the chest wall, diaphragm and pleural space
- acute lung diseases of the newborn infant
- respiratory failure
- aspiration/inhalation injuries
- bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- pulmonary vascular diseases in childhood
- acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- pulmonary complications in immunocomprised/immunosuppressed patients
- control of breathing disorders (including sleep disorders)
- miscellaneous lung disease
Our inpatient pulmonary team serves as the primary care team for the inpatient pulmonary service. We also consult with the care teams for general pediatrics, physical medicine & rehabilitation, orthopedics, orthopedic surgery, and our intensive care units (pediatric, neonatal and cardiac). Additionally, elective time is available to individualize your clinical experience to align with your professional goals.
Our Pulmonology Facilities
Our division includes several pediatric pulmonologists, many of whom are dual-boarded physicians — with combined certification in pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine, for example, or internal medicine and pediatrics.
Nursing staff and care coordinators round out the division, which typically performs, every year, more than 1,500 new outpatient evaluations and 130 bronchoscopic evaluations. Your inpatient experience includes a significant consultative role, 350-plus inpatient consults and at least 200 inpatient admissions annually.
Our 4-bed sleep laboratory performs more than 1,000 polysomnograms each year. Our intensive care units are equipped to provide Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) when necessary. Additionally, the division plays an active role in teaching residents, fellows, and medical students.