J. Fernando del Rosario, MDGastroenterology
Get to Know MeMy father was a doctor, and I wanted to be one too. I focus not only on treating children who are sick, but also on improving the quality of the care we provide for them. I’m married with two sons; at age 50 I earned a black-belt in Aikido, and I also enjoy horseback riding, ballroom dancing, art, and other activities.
Why I Treat ChildrenI have an easy rapport with kids, and enjoy working with them to treat inflammatory bowel disease and other gastrointestinal (GI) problems. I also participate in ImproveCareNow, a national project to improve the quality of GI care for children.
Education & Training
- Pediatric Gastroenterology - Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 1995
- Transitional Internship - Mount Sinai Hospital, 1990
- Pediatrics - Dayton Children's Hospital, 1991
- MD - UERM College of Medicine, 1986
- American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatric Gastroenterology
Awards & Recognition
- 2015 SJ Magazine's Top Docs for Kids
- 2014 Delaware Today magazine, Top Doctors
- 2017 Top Doc, Philadelphia Magazine
- 2017 Best in Medicine Award, American Health Council
- 2017 Castle Connolly Regional (Wilmington) Top Doc, Castle Connolly Medical LTD
- 2016 Top Doc, SJ Magazine
- 2016 Nominated as one of the most honored Professionals, American Registry
- 2016 Castle Connolly Regional Top Doc, Castle Connolly Medical LTD
- 2016 Top Doc, Delaware Today,
- 2013 Certificate of Appreciation for 99% Top Box Press Ganey Score
- 2014 Top Doc, International Association of Healthcare Professionals
- 2014 Castle Connolly Regional Top Doc, Castle Connolly Medical LTD.
- 2013 Vitals Compassionate Doctor Award, Castle Connolly Medical LTD.
- 2012 Top Doc, Delaware Today
- 2004 Top Doc, Main Line Magazine
- 2014 Certificate of Appreciation for 99% Top Box Press Ganey Score
- 2015 Certificate of Appreciation for 99% Top Box Press Ganey Score
- Accountable Health Plans PPO
- Aetna Better Health PA Kids HMO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO/POS/PPO/EPO
- Aetna PPO/EPO/POS
- Aetna PPO/POS/EPO
- Amerihealth Caritas Delaware
- Amerihealth Caritas Delaware NJ
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield HMO
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Non HMO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Florida Blue Select
- Carefirst MD Community Health Plan Mcaid
- Cigna & Great West HMO/POS Open Access
- Cigna & Great West HMO/POS/EPO
- Cigna & Great West PPO
- Cigna & Great West PPO/EPO
- Cigna/Great West HMO EPO POS
- Cigna/Great West PPO
- Delaware First Health
- Delaware Medicaid/Diamond State
- Delaware Medicare
- Devon Health Services
- Fidelis Care NJ Medicaid HMO
- First Health Aetna PPO/EPO
- First Health/Affordable PPO
- Geisinger Health Plan Commercial
- Global Medical Managment DE/PA
- Global Medical Mangment NJ
- Health Partners Medicaid/Kidz Partner HMO
- Highmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield Delaware Traditional
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Delaware HMO PPO POS EPO
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Delaware Traditional
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Delware HMO PPO POS EPO
- Highmark Medicaid Health Options
- Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield NJ HMO
- Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield NJ PPO
- Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield of NJ HMO
- Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield of NJ PPO
- Humana HMO/POS
- Humana PPO/EPO
- Independance Blue Cross/Amerihealth/Keystone Health Plan HMO/PPO
- Independence Blue Cross/Amerihealth/Keystone HMO PPO
- Insurance Administrators of America
- INTEGRA Administrative Group (ClaimsBridge)
- Keystone First Medicaid HMO
- Lifetrac Transplant
- Maryland Medicaid
- Multiplan PPO
- New Jersey Medicaid
- Olympus Managed Healthcare PPO NJ
- Pennsylvania Medicaid
- Plan Vista/NPPN PPO
- Preferred Healthcare PPO
- Prime Health Services PPO Specialty Florida
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)
- Qualcare HMO/POS/PPO
- Star Healthcare Network
- Star Healthcare Network
- Three Rivers Provider Network
- Tricare/Humana Military Health Services
- United Healthcare of the Mid-Atlantic
- UPMC MCAID/CHIP PA DE
- UPMC Medicaid
- US Family Health Plan
- Celiac Disease
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis
- Feeding Disorders
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Quality improvement initiatives
Influence of Age and Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus on Serological Test for Celiac Disease in Children; Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition; (2021).View Full Publication
Development and testing of a new simplified endoscopic mucosal assessment for Crohn's disease: The SEMA-CD; Inflammatory Bowel Diseases; (2020).
Use of Electronic Health Record Tools to Facilitate and Audit Infliximab Prescribing.; The journal of pediatric pharmacology and therapeutics : JPPT : the official journal of PPAG; (2018).View Full Publication
Gastrostomy and Jejunostomy Feedings in Children with Cerebral Palsy; Cerebral Palsy; (2018).
Pathogen- and Microbial- associated Molecular Patterns (PAMPs/MAMPs) and the Innate Immune Response in Crohn's Disease; Inflammation and Immunity in Health and Disease: Emerging Roles of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods in Immune Support. Chapter 14; (2017).
Provider Communication Regarding Psychosocial Factors Predicts Pain Beliefs in Parent and Child.; Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics : JDBP; (2016).View Full Publication
Safety of Secretin Administration in Children; Pancreas; (2016).View Full Publication
Exposure to gastric acid-suppression therapy is associated with healthcare-associated and community-associated C. difficile infection in children; jpgn; (2015).
Effectiveness of anti-TNFα for Crohn disease: research in a pediatric learning health system.; Pediatrics; (2014).View Full Publication
Improved outcomes in a quality improvement collaborative for pediatric inflammatory bowel disease.; Pediatrics; (2012).View Full Publication
ImproveCareNow: The development of a pediatric inflammatory bowel disease improvement network.; Inflammatory bowel diseases; (2011).View Full Publication
Prevalence and epidemiology of overweight and obesity in children with inflammatory bowel disease.; Inflammatory bowel diseases; (2010).View Full Publication
Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Textbook of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Chapter 32; (2009).
Early Immunomodulator Use Improves 18 Month Outcomes in Pediatric Crohn Disease; Inflammatory Bowel Disease; (2008).
Laboratory Values of Children Newly Diagnosed With Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Pediatrics; (2007).
The Natural History of Corticosteroid Therapy for Ulcerative Colitis in Children; Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology; (2006).
Corticosteroid Therapy in the Age of Infliximab: Acute and 1-Year Outcomes in Newly Diagnosed Children With Crohn's Disease; Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology; (2006).View Full Publication
Health-related quality of life in the first year after a diagnosis of pediatric inflammatory bowel disease; Inflammatory Bowel Diseases; (2006).View Full Publication
Alpha-1-Antitrypsin Deficiency; Five Minute Pediatric Consult; (2005).
Congenital Hepatic Fibrosis; Five Minute Pediatric Consult, 4th edition; (2005).
Evaluation of the pediatric Crohn disease activity index: A prospective multicenter experience; Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition; (2005).View Full Publication
Jaundice; Five Minute Pediatric Consult; (2005).
. Characterization of height and weight patterns in newly diagnosed children with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD); JPGN; (2004).
Patterns of complementary and alternative medicine use in a population of pediatric patients with inflammatory bowel disease; inflammatory bowel disease; (2004).
Poor imaging techniques produces poor results: again!; Journal of Pediatrics; (2000).
Achalasia and other motor disorders; Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease: pathophysiology, diagnosis & management, 2nd edition; (1999).
Assessment of terminal ileal and colonic inflammation in children with Crohn's disease with Tc-99m labelled WBC; Acta Paeditrica; (1999).
Gastroesophageal Reflux; Recent Advances in Pediatrics, Issue 17; (1999).
Pediatric inflammatory bowel disease: assessment with scintigraphy with 99mTc-white blood cells; Radiology; (1999).
Endoscopies in pediatric small intestinal transplant recipients: Five years experience; American Journal of Gastroenterology; (1998).View Full Publication
3-D imaging of inflammatory bowel disease with WBC-Tc99m; European Journal of Nuclear Medicine; (1998).
Duplication cyst of the pancreatic duct presenting as pancreatitis; Gastrointestinal Endoscopy; (1998).View Full Publication
Retrospective analysis of alternate-day prednisone maintenance therapy for Crohn's disease.; Clinical pediatrics; (1998).View Full Publication
Distribution of acute bowel inflammation determined by technetium-labeled white blood cells in children with inflammatory bowel disease.; Inflammatory bowel diseases; (1998).View Full Publication
Stool withholding masquerading as seizure disorder.; Clinical pediatrics; (1998).View Full Publication
Accuracy and limitations of 3-D imaging of inflammatory bowel disease with WBC-Tc99m; Pediatric Radiology; (1998).
Characterization of late abdominal accumulation of 99tcm-hmpao leukocytes in a large population of children; Nuclear Medicine Communications; (1998).View Full Publication
Common pediatric esophageal disorders; Gastroenterologist; (1998).View Full Publication
Comparison of the sensitivity of early versus delayed imaging with Tc- 99m HMPAO WBC in children with inflammatory bowel disease; Clinical Nuclear Medicine; (1998).View Full Publication
Influence of ERCP on the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric patients with symptomatic pancreatitis and cystic fibrosis: Series of case reports; Gastrointestinal Endoscopy; (1998).View Full Publication
Use of technetium-tagged white blood cells in patients with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis: Is differential diagnosis possible?; Pediatric Radiology; (1998).View Full Publication
Three-dimensional imaging with WBC-Tc99m in the assessment of inflammation in children with inflammatory bowel disease; Am J Roentgenology; (1998).
Sensitivity and specificity of Technetium-labelled white blood cells in pediatric inflammatory bowel disease; European Journal of Medicine ; (1997).
Assessment of bowel inflammation with Tc-99m-HMPAO-White Blood Cells versus colonoscopy and biopsy; J Nuc Med ; (1997).
Colonoscopy versus Technetium-labelled white blood cells in patients with Crohn's disease; European Journal of Nuclear Medicine ; (1997).
Differentiation between continuous and discontinuous colitis with white blood cells labeled with technetium in children; Gastrointestinal Endoscopy; (1997).View Full Publication
Evaluation and management of gastroesophageal reflux and pulmonary disease; Current Opinion in Pediatrics ; (1996).
Familial failure of hepatitis B immunization; Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition; (1996).View Full Publication
Chronic pancreatitis in a patient with cystic fibrosis and clinical pancreatic insufficiency; The Journal of Pediatrics; (1995).View Full Publication
Thrombotic Complications in Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Clinical Pediatrics; (1994).View Full Publication
11p deletions and breakpoints in squamous cell carcinoma: association with altered reactivity with the UM-E7 antibody; Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer; (1991).
UM-EC-1, a new receptor (+), hypodiploid human cell line derived from poorly differentiated endometrial cancer; Cancer Research; (1988).