Welcome to the Volunteer Program at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola. We have a variety of opportunities available for adults and teens interested in volunteering in a pediatric health care environment. Volunteers provide invaluable support to our pediatric patients, their families, and our staff in our waiting rooms and care settings. Our goal is to match your interests and skills with the needs of the children we serve.
All volunteers receive online and in-house training to prepare them for their volunteer positions. Below are brief descriptions of positions available. Volunteer opportunities are available in two- or four-hour shifts Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon or 1–5 p.m. Openings for these positions change constantly.
We strive to match volunteers with an assignment, day and time that best meets their needs as well as ours. Positions are subject to availability.
Volunteer pet visitation teams provide lots of "puppy love" to patients and their families in the waiting rooms. All dogs must have an annual registration and insurance from a pet visitation accrediting organization. Pets must be bathed within 24 hours of visiting our patients. Teams usually volunteer for a two-hour shift twice a month.
Optional Additional Service: On alternate weeks, volunteers may serve in another capacity during the weeks that they are not bringing their pet to visit.
Volunteers provide recreational activities to patients in our lobby. If you like to play, do arts and crafts and color, then this is the volunteer position for you. Do you enjoy reading? Share that love with children gathering a group together and reading out loud to the patients.
If you have previous experience as a clown and want to entertain pediatric patients, you will have a new volunteer home at Nemours. Whether you do hand and face painting, perform magic tricks or tell funny stories, your talents are sure to delight children of all ages.
Greet patients and families as they leave their appointment and escort them for a special treat. Answer their general questions and help families find their way around the clinic.
For Registered Volunteers
Login for current volunteers and coordinators. Log In »
How to Apply
All volunteers must:
- request an online application by emailing the Volunteer Services Department
- gain medical clearance including two tuberculosis tests, an immunization titer, a flu shot and a urine drug screening (all provided by Nemours)
- clear background screenings, including a formal background check and two personal references
- participate in an interview
- complete four hours of online orientation and annual update training (to receive the application link you must email us
- complete training to perform outstanding customer service to patients, their families and Associates
- make a commitment to serve at least 50 hours per year
- serve at least 8 hours per month as part of a designated schedule
All applicants must:
- be at least 16 years old
- be able to speak and understand English
- be willing to learn the skills necessary to be competent in their duties
- have a helpful and caring attitude and a respect for confidentiality
Becoming a Nemours volunteer allows you to:
- explore career opportunities
- contribute to your community
- meet interesting people and learn new skills
- receive a free annual flu vaccine
- gain invaluable learning experiences in a health care setting