Exploring gender and sexuality is part of every child’s development. For some kids and teens, their gender assigned at birth doesn’t match the gender that feels most comfortable to them. This can make young people feel isolated, unsupported and rejected. They may also experience depression, anxiety, bullying, and other physical and emotional issues. At the Nemours Gender Wellness Program, we take a gender-affirmative approach — that just means we fully accept our patients. And we recognize the challenges your family may face with understanding and adjusting. We’re here to answer your questions and support your family throughout your journey.
Gender Wellness Program
Caring Gender Identity Support & Treatment
Services We Offer
Following the most up-to-date guidelines, we offer a wide range of services for kids and teens who are looking for help with their gender identity development and/or transition. We work closely together as a large, experienced team to give your child both medical and psychological care that meets their specific needs:
- endocrinology. Our hormone and growth doctor can help your child make a medical transition to the desired gender. This may include helping them understand how to take medications to pause puberty or hormones to cause physical changes. We help you understand what to expect at every step.
- general pediatric care. Our pediatrician supports young children (before puberty) and their families. We also work with older teens and young adults as they prepare to move on to adult health care.
- gynecology. Our reproductive health doctor educates your child about their current and future reproductive health. We help them understand what will happen in their body from hormones or surgery. We also can talk about options for improving or stopping periods, and building a family in the future. Our patients almost never need to have an exam with our gynecologist.
- psychiatry and psychology. Our psychiatrist and psychologist work with your family and your child’s current therapist to provide support. We address any emotional issues with coming out, bullying, family and peer relationships, and social stigma. We also can identify and treat mental health conditions like anxiety and depression.
- social work. Our social worker works closely with our team, especially psychology, to support your family. We also connect you to resources close to home and help you work with the health care system throughout the process.
Why Choose Us
The Nemours Gender Wellness Program is the only complete gender health program in the state of Delaware. We work together to help kids and teens be as healthy as possible, physically and emotionally. We can coordinate appointments with our large team of specialists. And we can help your child and family adjust and cope with any emotional challenges along the way.
Gender Wellness Program Highlights
Our Gender Wellness Program is available at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- ranked among the nation’s top pediatric endocrinology programs by U.S. News & World Report
- the only children’s hospital in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania with pediatric and adolescent gynecologists specifically trained to help young and teen girls
- family-centered care — our doctors and care providers involve you and your child in deciding on a plan of care