With glaucoma, pressure builds up inside the eye. This causes decreased blood flow and damage to the retina (the light-sensitive layer at the back of the eye) and the optic nerve (which carries signals from the retina to the brain, where they’re interpreted as visual images). Glaucoma makes the lens of the eye cloudy, which makes it harder to see. At Nemours, our pediatric ophthalmology (eye care) team can evaluate glaucoma in children of all ages and, if needed, perform pediatric glaucoma surgery — even in infants.
Glaucoma Surgery & Care for Kids
Glaucoma Services We Offer
Although parts of the examination for glaucoma can be done in our office, diagnosing babies with glaucoma usually requires an examination under anesthesia. Older children can have the complete examination in our office.
Glaucoma care in kids includes medicines to lower the pressure inside the eye and sometimes surgery. At Nemours, our board-certified pediatric ophthalmologists (children’s eye doctors) have exceptional expertise in identifying and treating eye issues like glaucoma early.
Why Choose Us for Glaucoma Surgery & Care
Nemours pediatric ophthalmologists are board-certified and fellowship-trained at nationally recognized institutions to provide the highest level of surgical and medical care for common and complex eye problems. Many on our team are recognized in "Best Doctors in America®" and local magazines as “Top Doctors” in the region. We’re also researchers looking for new, better ways to detect and treat conditions like pediatric glaucoma.
Regional Glaucoma Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer full-service pediatric glaucoma surgery and care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- medical and surgical services provided directly by fellowship-trained pediatric ophthalmologists who place the child and family at the center of care
- consults after birth for newborns with eye conditions like glaucoma
- special sensitivity to the challenges and anxiety kids with developmental or neurodevelopmental conditions (like autism) may have during eye exams
- part of the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, working with hundreds of pediatric eye care experts nationwide to research eye disorders
We offer full-service glaucoma surgery and care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando, Fla.).
- ophthalmologist and certified orthoptist (eye movement and diagnostic specialist) trained and equipped to diagnose and treat vision problems in children of all ages, including those with developmental disabilities and physical limitations
- Child Life specialist who can provide play and creative therapies and distraction during exams and treatments
- academic ties with the University of Florida and University of Central Florida colleges of medicine
We offer full-service glaucoma surgery and care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville (working with Wolfson Children’s Hospital) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care satellite locations.
- ophthalmologists, pediatric optometrist and experienced eye technicians deliver complete eye care for kids
- collaboration with a Mayo Clinic Jacksonville retina specialist (an ophthalmologist with special training in conditions involving the retina) for complex pediatric retina conditions
- part of a multicenter collaborative network, Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, working with hundreds of pediatric eye care experts nationwide to research eye disorders
- families referred from throughout the Jacksonville area and beyond (Daytona Beach, Tallahassee, South Georgia)
- special training program developed by our pediatric eye experts to teach primary care doctors how to conduct effective pediatric eye exams for children from birth to age 5