Our hand therapists are occupational and physical therapists who specialize in the rehabilitation of hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder conditions and injuries. They’ve passed a rigorous examination, and work closely with physicians and surgeons. Our goal is to decrease or eliminate symptoms and improve movement so your child can get back to being a kid.
Hand Healing & Pain Relief
Conditions We Treat
Our certified hand therapists and specialist treat many conditions that often cause pain, swelling and limited movement.
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- cerebral palsy
- developmental disabilities
- fractures (broken bones), dislocations and sprains
- hand and upper extremity deformities and disabilities
- muscular strains, tears and separations
- neuromuscular disorders (e.g., arthrogryposis multiplex congenita, muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis)
- sports injuries
- tendon, nerve and soft tissue injuries
- wounds and infections
Services We Offer
We offer comprehensive services, which may vary depending upon the condition and location:
- activities of daily living (ADL) training (to help with basics like eating and bathing)
- adaptive/assistive device training (to help with the use of any device that makes it easier for a child to perform a function)
- biofeedback techniques (to train the mind to control pain)
- desensitization (to reduce hypersensitivity, or extreme sensitivity, in the hand)
- electric stimulation therapy (also called "e-stim") (to promote healing and relieve muscle pain)
- manual and compression therapy (hands-on therapy and compression garments to reduce swelling and improve circulation in the legs)
- pain management
- sensory re-education (to restore the sense of touch and control)
- splinting, fitting and positioning (to help with hand stabilize injuries)
- therapeutic exercise
- ultrasound therapy (using sound waves to reduce pain and inflammation, and help with healing)
Why Choose Us
At Nemours, your child benefits from a team approach to care that may include board-certified pediatric surgeons, physicians and certified hand therapists — all specifically trained in kid-friendly care. Our hand therapists each have a minimum of five years of experience that includes 4,000 hours of mentored time.
Regional Pediatric Hand Therapy Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer comprehensive hand therapy at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics satellite locations.
- only hospital in the tri-state region with pediatric certified hand therapists and an orthopedic surgeon, all with specific, unique expertise and experience in treating upper extremity injuries, deformities and problems with hand movement
- all staff registered with the National Board of Certification of Occupational Therapy, Inc. (NBCOT) and licensed by the Delaware Occupational Therapy Board (DOTA)
- cutting-edge methods and techniques that include the latest in imaging and 3-D technology
- consistently named one of the top 10 best children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report
- only pediatric rehabilitation program in the greater Philadelphia region accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- new state-of-the-art Rehabilitation and Inpatient Therapy Center, with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) suite
- world-renowned Cerebral Palsy Center
- Center for Sports Medicine, the region’s largest pediatric sports medicine facility for sports- and activity-related injuries, as well as therapy gyms at satellite locations