Some children need help to speak, write and/or learn. For others, moving and getting around may be a challenge. Kids can often expand their abilities with tools and devices called “assistive technology.” At Nemours, our assistive technology team is here to help kids reach their full potential.
Tools & Devices to Help Kids Be Kids
Conditions Assistive Technology Can Help
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
Assistive Technology Services We Offer
Assistive technology can include devices, equipment and tools that help children with:
- communication — for example, creating speech sounds from a child’s gestures, sounds and expressions
- learning and writing — such as using computer-assisted tools or pictures instead of words to instruct a child
- mobility — helping kids get around using equipment like walkers
- positioning — devices to help kids breathe better, develop healthy posture while sitting and standing, and focus better in school
- self-care — tools like bath and shower chairs, toilet seats, etc., to help kids develop strength, coordination, flexibility and the other skills they need to perform day-to-day tasks
We offer individualized treatment plans and a variety of treatment services which, depending on your child’s condition, may include:
- augmentative communication (a wide range of tools, from sign language to advanced technology, to help children communicate)
- care coordination (consultations with your child’s other therapists and educators)
- hands-on trials of equipment
- set-up and customization (to get your child’s assistive device or computer program ready for them)
- specialized assessments (to get to know your child and find the tools and technology that fit them best)
- training programs (to show your family and your child’s school how to weave assistive technology into learning and day-to-day life)
- wheelchair clinic (to help your family find the most comfortable and effective wheelchair for your child)
Why Choose Us for Assistive Technology
Nemours assistive technology experts want to make it easier for kids to perform functions that might otherwise be difficult or impossible. Our team members from different specialties work together to provide evaluations and recommendations for children with a variety of communication, learning and mobility needs.
Regional Assistive Technology Care Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer assistive technology at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.). We have the only Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities accredited rehabilitation program in the tristate area located within a pediatric hospital.