At Nemours, “family-centered care” means putting your child and family first in everything we do. To help us make meaningful improvements for all of the children we see and their families, we rely on our family advisory councils to help create new services, streamline our processes, and even weigh in on who we hire and how to build a better place to care for children.
About Our Family Advisory Council
Made up of parents, many who have children with chronic or complex health issues, the Family Advisory Council (FAC) provides insight on the features families want most, such as: rooms that feel more like home, new technology to enhance patient/physician communication, more handicapped parking (and RV parking), and no visiting restrictions for families.
But that’s just the beginning. We are active and important in the day-to-day life of Nemours Children's Hospital as we develop and foster partnerships among children, families and providers by:
- assist in planning, evaluating, and implementing policies, programs,
- offer trusted advice and resources for children, families and Associates
- provide information and education to kids and families
- assist in staff education and professional development
- encourage family involvement in hospital committees, task forces and work groups
- promote the diverse needs of families caring for children with chronic or complex medical conditions
- engage the community as active, positive hospital ambassadors
What We Do
Since 2005, the Family Advisory Council has been a partner in developing and enhancing Nemours Children's Hospital's family-centered care. We play key roles advocating, advising, and educating our staff and families on a variety of issues. Some of our group’s most prominent projects were helping to:
- design many family-friendly features for the hospital to create a comfortable “home away from home” for our patients and families
- hire key leadership positions and a staff that is committed to family-centered whole-child health care
- develop truly unique patient care experiences like an Emergency Department with immediate assessment and room assignment — and no waiting room
- encourage parents to accompany their child all the way into the operating room, and to stay until the anesthetic medication takes effect
We were also honored with the Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission’s William C. Schwartz Industry Innovation Award for our commitment to family-centered health care through our help designing the hospital and interviewing key leadership positions.
Action is sometimes the best medicine for coping with your child’s diagnosis. If you want to meet like-minded, active men and women who are at different milestones in the same journey, please join us.
To get involved with the Family Advisory Council (FAC), you can become a member and/or serve on one of our committees:
- Membership Committee: Maintains membership, council, and
- Family as Faculty Committee: Recruits and trains families to help teach medical students, resident physicians, interns and staff about caring for a child in the hospital — from the family’s perspective
- Marketing Committee: Promotes council/activities to children and families, as well as the staff and the community
How Can I Join?
FAC members meet at Nemours Children's Hospital monthly on every second Tuesday from 6-8 p.m. If you’re interested in joining the FAC, or are just curious about what we do, feel free to contact one of our parent co-chairs, Lynda Griffin or Stacey Stafford at (407) 650-7693.
You can also email our staff co-chair, Norman Jeune III, at email@example.com.
But you don’t have to be a member to serve on a committee or participate in a project. Contact us and we’ll be happy to find a perfect place for you.
Norman Jeune III
Director, Patient and Family Centered Care
Nemours Children's Hospital
Family Advisory Council
Nemours Children's Hospital
Meets every 2nd Tuesday from 6-8 p.m.