Made up of parents, many who have children with chronic or complex health issues, the Family Advisory Council (FAC) provides insight on what families want most, such as care that keeps family at the center of everything we do — through their feedback, recommendations about processes, participation through various hospital committees and more.
- Assist in planning, evaluating, and implementing policies, programs and services
- Offer trusted advice and resources to hospital associates and leaders
- Advise on educational materials for children and families
- Provide information and education to kids and families
- Assist in staff education and professional development
- Encourage family involvement in hospital committees, task forces and work groups
- Promote the diverse needs of families caring for children with chronic or complex medical conditions
- Engage the community as active, positive hospital ambassadors
What We Do
Since 2005, the Family Advisory Council has been a partner in developing and enhancing Nemours Children's Hospital, Florida's family-centered care. We play key roles advocating, advising and educating our staff and families on a variety of issues.
Some of our group’s most prominent projects were:
- Helping to design many family-friendly features for the hospital to create a comfortable “home away from home” for our patients and families, including new room amenities, use of preferred names, expanded dietary options, and much more
- Giving input to create the DIVA (difficult IV access) Team, a specialized team of clinicians who use ultrasound imaging to create a safer, more comfortable IV process for children whose veins are difficult to find