It’s normal for a child to have minor, short-lasting itchiness, redness and swelling after an insect bite. For some children, the immune system overreacts to the insect poison. It causes the body to make too many antibodies called immunoglobulin E, or IgE.
An allergic reaction to a stinging insect like a bee, wasp or yellow jacket can vary from mild to severe. A child may only have swelling or pain near the bite. Some may have hives (patches of red, itchy skin), wheezing or nausea. A serious allergic reaction called anaphylaxis can happen, which can be life-threatening. Nemours Children's doctors can help your child feel better and stay safe.
Learn more about Stinging Insect Allergies at the Nemours KidsHealth Library
Our pediatric allergists and immunologists are experts in all pediatric allergies. We offer evaluations like skin tests and sometimes blood tests, too. We want to find out what’s happening so we can give the best possible treatment.
For stinging insect allergies, we may recommend ongoing allergy shots, also called immunotherapy. We’ll help you know what to expect and make care easy and convenient for you. We’ll also create an emergency plan to keep your child safe.
Nemours has a number of service regions. Selecting your region will help us show you the right contact information and the most relevant content for you.