The aorta is the body’s main artery that brings blood from your heart to the rest of your body. The aortic valve regulates blood flow between the aorta and the left ventricle of the heart. Aortic stenosis occurs when the aortic valve is hard or narrow, which reduces blood flow into the aorta and throughout the body. The team of children’s heart experts at Nemours Cardiac Center is here to care for your child and treat their aortic stenosis.
Expert Care for Aortic Stenosis
If your child has aortic valve stenosis, our specialists will discuss your concerns, answer your questions and provide treatment options. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons (specialize in surgical procedures of the chest, including heart and lungs) will guide your child and your family from diagnosis through treatment and any supportive services you need.
Services We Offer for Aortic Stenosis
Nemours offers a range of services to diagnose and treat your child's aortic stenosis:
- Cardiac Catheterization. To help with diagnosis and monitoring.
- Cardiology. Nonsurgical heart care and monitoring that includes medications to treat and control the symptoms of aortic valve stenosis.
- Fetal Diagnostics. Early detection in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers to help us diagnose and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born.
- Heart Surgery. Procedures performed by our heart surgeons to treat aortic stenosis may include a balloon valvuloplasty to try to open the valve, or a complete replacement of the aortic valve.
- Nutritional Education. To help your child eat heart-healthy today for the future.
Why Choose Us for Aortic Valve Stenosis
Regional Aortic Stenosis Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer aortic stenosis care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We offer aortic valve stenosis care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
- Renowned pediatric care team. Our experts specialize in cardiac care just for kids.
- Early Detection for Faster Treatment. We offer leading-edge capabilities to detect heart problems early, including babies still in the womb — giving children the best chance. Our Nemours Center for Fetal Care is available at multiple locations throughout Central Florida.
We offer care for kids with aortic valve stenosis at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
- One of the Few Accredited Pediatric Transthoracic and Fetal Echocardiography Labs in Florida. If needed, we can easily facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).