Atrial septal defect (ASD) is a congenital (present at birth) heart defect sometimes called “hole in the heart.” The hole is in the wall between the upper two heart chambers. If your child has an ASD, our pediatric heart care team in the Nemours Cardiac Center will address your concerns, answer your questions, and provide the latest in proven treatment options for a healthy future. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons (specialists in surgical procedures of the chest, including heart and lungs) deliver top-notch care for your child.
Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
Expert Pediatric Heart Care for ASD
Services We Offer for Atrial Septal Defect
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care to diagnose and treat atrial septal defect. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Cardiology. Our highly experienced pediatric cardiology experts monitor and manage ASD as your child grows, whether a repair was done at birth or may be needed later.
- Cardiac Diagnostic Testing. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages, including newborns.
- Cardiac Catheterization. Some ASDs are repaired using a catheter (thin, flexible tube) to place an implant, which flattens against the hole and closes the ASD.
- Heart Surgery. If the ASD is large or near the wall of the heart, surgery may be the best option to repair it.
- Preventive Cardiology. Pediatric cardiologists work together with your family to create a plan to watch for and treat — or prevent — future heart problems common for kids born with an ASD.
Why Choose Us for Atrial Septal Defect Repair & Care
World-class heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to heal. Our cardiac surgeons treat a vast array of heart defects in infants, children and teens, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches.
Regional Atrial Septal Defect Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer care for newborns and children with atrial septal defect at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
We offer care for newborns and children with atrial septal defect at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers state-of-the-art inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando.
We offer care for newborns and children with atrial septal defect at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).