Children born with auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder (ANSD) have trouble understanding speech and being able to tell one sound from another. If your child is diagnosed with ANSD, Nemours’ audiologists and other specialists can work together to help your child develop strong language and communication skills as they grow.
Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder (ANSD)
A Team Approach to Treatment
Services to Diagnose & Treat Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder
We offer a full range of services to diagnose and treat auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder. Our services may vary depending on the location and your child’s condition. Our ANSD program brings together a team of experts to help your child, including:
- audiologists (specialists who diagnose, evaluate and treat hearing loss)
- otologists (ear, nose and throat doctors who specialize in ear abnormalities)
- speech-language pathologists (specialists who diagnose, evaluate and treat communication problems)
- educators of the deaf
- linguistic researchers (specialists who study language and speech sounds, formation and structure)
- auditory neurophysiologists (specialists who study how the nerves related to hearing work)
- consultation, if needed, from other specialties (including neurology, ophthalmology and genetics)
Our team provides:
- complete diagnostic testing and treatment
- counseling for families to provide support and education when children need hearing aids and cochlear implants
- information for schools and teachers to make sure kids have the right classroom equipment and supplies
Why Choose Us
Although there’s no known cure for auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder, assistive listening devices (like hearing aids and cochlear implants) can help kids with ANSD make sense of sounds and develop language skills. Our team approach helps us figure out which devices and therapies are right for your child.
Regional ANSD Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.