Losing weight can be really tough, especially for teens. For many, following a doctor-approved diet and exercise plan can be all they need to shed excess pounds. But sometimes medical problems still continue and the weight stays on or comes back. That’s when bariatric surgery (also called “weight loss surgery”) can be an option. At Nemours’ adolescent bariatric surgery program, we provide compassionate, complete care and bariatric surgery for teens who qualify. Our goal is to help teens not only lose the weight, but be healthier overall.
Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery
Helping Teens Shed Pounds
Conditions We Treat
You may be referred to our bariatric program if your child has had rapid or unexplained weight gain, or has been chronically and severely obese. Your child may be a candidate if they are at least 14 years old and:
- 100 or more pounds over their ideal body weight
- have tried but haven’t been able to lose the weight
- face serious weight-related medical problems (like diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea and joint problems)
Our team will consider your child’s overall health and emotional maturity too. For the weight loss surgery to be successful, we’ll fully involve your family in decision-making and follow-up care.
Services We Offer
Every bariatric surgery candidate’s journey with us starts with a complete medical evaluation and follow-up care. That includes:
- psychological evaluations and counseling
- nutrition counseling and education
- exercise evaluations and personal training
The type of bariatric surgery we perform at Nemours is called “gastric sleeve surgery.” In this procedure, our surgeon removes a large part of the stomach to create a smaller stomach that can hold less food. This operation is “laparoscopic.” That just means the surgeon uses a tiny camera or scope to guide the minimally invasive procedure (a surgery that uses smaller incisions and results in faster healing).
After gastric sleeve surgery, teens usually:
- eat a lot less (and, so, consume far fewer calories)
- feel less hungry
- feel fuller
- have better controlled blood sugar levels
Why Choose Us
Nemours has one of the longest-standing and busiest pediatric weight management practices in the country. Here are just some of the reasons parents and teens turn to us for care:
- combined expertise of our medical and surgical directors and staff, with experts from many specialties
- highly experienced surgeons who are board-certified in pediatric surgery
- ongoing efforts to track lifestyle behaviors and help kids keep healthy habits
- online video doctor visits
- opportunities to participate in research and clinical trials
- wide range of pediatric medical specialty support that provides all the care kids might need
Regional Bariatric Surgery Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer bariatric surgery at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select satellite Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
Our large team is made up of weight management doctors, a pediatric surgeon, psychologist, physician assistant (PA) and clinical nurse coordinator. Our full-service care also includes the expertise of a nutritionist (who works with teens to choose healthy options) and exercise physiologist (who measures teens’ heart rate and rhythm while they use a stationary bicycle or treadmill in our exercise lab).
Interested in learning more? Call (302) 651-4730 to find out about our monthly Bariatric Info Night.