At Nemours, we care for children with a wide variety of nutrition issues. Whether your child has a medical condition that requires extra nutritional support or they’re learning to make healthier lifestyle choices, our team of registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) is here to help. We work side-by-side with your family and care team to create a nutrition plan that meets your child’s unique needs.
Helping Kids Get the Nutrients They Need
Conditions Our Registered Dietitian Nutritionists Treat
Our nutrition experts work as part of our care teams to provide education, guidance and motivation for kids with conditions that affect their growth and development. We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- aerodigestive disorders (complex conditions of the airway and digestive tract)
- cancer and chemotherapy
- celiac disease (an autoimmune disorder that makes the body react to gluten — a group of proteins found in wheat, rye and barley and other grains derived from them)
- cystic fibrosis (CF)
- eating disorders
- failure to thrive (when children don’t meet expected standards of growth)
- feeding and swallowing disorders (dysphagia)
- food allergies (wheat, soy, egg, shellfish, milk, nut and/or peanut)
- gastrointestinal (digestive) problems
- inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- intestinal failure (short bowel syndrome, motility disorders and absorptive disorders)
- malabsorption (disorders affecting how the body absorbs nutrients)
Nutrition Services We Offer
Our registered dietitian nutritionists are food and nutrition experts who have special training and expertise in the nutritional needs of infants, kids and teens. We offer a variety of treatment services, which may vary depending on the condition or location, including:
- allergy testing
- annual nutrition visits (as part of a well-child exam or for kids with conditions like diabetes)
- bariatric (weight loss) surgery (for teens who qualify)
- blood tests (for monitoring electrolyte, mineral and vitamin levels)
- breath hydrogen testing (for detecting malabsorption disorders and lactose intolerance)
- cardiology (heart) nutrition
- critical care nutrition (nutrition planning to promote your child’s growth during serious illness)
- cystic fibrosis expertise (nutritional support designed by CF-registered dietitians to help kids grow and fight infections)
- education and emotional support (for kids and their families)
- feeding and swallowing therapy (for babies and toddlers with medical and developmental conditions)
- feeding tube placement (also called "enteral feeding" — when nutrition is delivered through a tube in the nose or stomach)
- ketogenic diet (for seizure management)
- metabolic disorders (like phenylketonuria or “PKU”)
- nutrition assessment and therapy (education on food and beverage choices)
- neonatology nutrition (diagnostic testing for newborns, and sometimes older kids, with failure to thrive)
- recovery plans (for kids and teens with eating disorders)
- sports nutrition
- telemedicine (online health coaching or doctor visits via Nemours CareConnect)
Why Choose Us for Nutritional Care
At Nemours, your child can benefit from a team approach to condition-specific care that includes registered dietitian nutritionists and other experts who only treat children. Together, we create a personalized nutrition plan designed just for your child.
We’re also focused on research and prevention activities aimed at reversing the rise of obesity and addressing other nutrition-related diseases. Our nationally and internationally recognized physician researchers are committed to improving the knowledge and outcomes for pediatric nutrition. We also have access to more than 30 additional specialties to help identify and treat other conditions that may affect your child’s nutritional needs.
At Nemours, we’re also proud of our:
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Accredited Centers of Excellence, offering nutritional care and education
- CF Care Centers , nationally accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (with nutritional support designed by CF-registered dietitians)
- participation in ImproveCareNow , the national pediatric inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) improvement network
- physicians we work with who are named Best Doctors in America® , year after year
Regional Nutrition Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer nutrition care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics satellite locations.
- ranked one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric gastroenterology (GI) and GI surgery by U.S. News & World Report
- teach-in kitchens to help kids and families to learn healthy recipes and ingredients
- 2017 Gold Medallion Award from the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation for service to children with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- personalized sports nutrition programs with our board-certified sports nutritionist
We offer nutrition care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care satellite locations.
- teach-in kitchen events to learn healthy recipes and ingredients
- Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Education Days for kids and families
- the only pediatric hospital in Florida that’s part of PEDSnet , so we can offer kids the most recent, research-based treatments
We offer nutrition care through Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville and select satellite locations. We also participate in clinical trials and research related to diabetes, weight management, growth and nutrition through The Nemours Center for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Disorders.