Sometimes children are born with ears that don’t form like they should. Ear anomalies are differences (deformities) in the size or shape of the outside or inside of the ear. They can affect both how the ear looks and how children hear. Our Ear Anomalies Program at Nemours evaluates and treats ear deformities in kids. We’re here to help children hear, look and feel better.
Ear Anomalies Program
Help for Kids With Ear Differences
Conditions We Treat
The conditions we treat vary depending on the location and providers selected:
- anotia (no external ear)
- constricted ears (top part of the ear looks flat, folded or rolled)
- cryptotia (top part of the ear is hidden under the skin)
- ear canal stenosis (the ear canal is narrow)
- hearing loss
- microtia (external ear isn’t fully developed)
- protruding ears (the ears stick out)
Services We Offer
We offer full pediatric ear deformities services, which may vary depending on the condition and location. Reconstruction surgery may include techniques using:
- the child’s own cartilage (a flexible, rubbery substance in the joints)
- implants (grafting a child’s skin over a plastic mold)
- a prosthetic (an artificial extension that replaces a missing body part)
We also provide hearing evaluations and options to help with hearing loss, including hearing aids and devices.
Why Choose Us
Our team of experts from multiple areas has extensive experience in caring for children with ear anomalies. We provide coordinated appointments to see our team of specialists from otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat), plastic surgery, psychology and audiology. All of our care options are state-of-the-art and customized to each child’s individual needs.