One of the most common vision problems in kids is amblyopia (also called "lazy eye"). This is when one eye (or both) sends a blurry image to the brain. The brain then “learns” to see blurry. But treatment for amblyopia can correct the way the eye and brain work together to help strengthen your child's vision. At Nemours, our kids' eye specialists are trained to detect amblyopia and provide expert care to treat it.
Amblyopia (Lazy Eye)
Children's Eye Care Experts
Amblyopia Services We Offer
We offer complete diagnostic and treatment services for children with amblyopia. Our services for lazy eye may vary depending on the location you visit and the doctor your child sees:
- an eye exam by an ophthalmologist (a doctor who specializes in eye care and surgery)
- tests to check whether your child’s eyes are looking in the same direction
- treatment options including prescription glasses to help the eyes see without blurriness, an eye patch or drops to help make the affected eye see better, and surgery such as Lasik (laser vision correction, which usually doesn't require an overnight hospital stay)
- vision therapy (a type of physical therapy for the eyes and brain) to help the affected eye see better
Why Choose Us for Amblyopia Care
Our board-certified and fellowship-trained eye doctors are trained at nationally recognized institutions to provide the highest level of surgical and medical treatments for eye problems in kids, from the common to the complex. Many of our physicians are recognized as “Best Doctors in America® ” and “Top Doctors” in the communities we serve. We perform advanced operations, including laser surgery, to treat and repair kids’ eyes.
We’re also active in research to find new and better ways to treat eye problems in children. And we offer a coordinated, team approach for kids with multiple health needs. That means we can help you arrange visits with multiple doctors on the same day, in the same place.
Regional Amblyopia Care Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.), we offer complete eye care for children with amblyopia.
- medical and surgical services from experienced pediatric ophthalmologists who put kids and their families at the very center of our care
- sensitivity to the challenges and anxiety that kids with conditions such as autism may have during eye exams
- our role in a multicenter collaborative network, the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, helping hundreds of kids' eye care experts nationwide to research eye disorders
We offer complete amblyopia care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando).
- ophthalmologist and certified orthoptist (eye movement and diagnostic specialist) trained and equipped to detect and care for vision problems like lazy eye in children of all ages, including those with physical limitations and developmental disabilities
- Child Life specialist for play and creative therapies to distract or lessen anxiety during exams and treatments
- community vision screening program offered to preschools and Head Start programs in Seminole County, Kissimmee and other areas of Central Florida (working with our Healthy Choices Clinic and the Nemours Florida Prevention Initiative)
- care team that provides full-service eye care for kids — ophthalmologists, experienced eye technicians and an optometrist (who provides services similar to ophthalmologists, but doesn't perform surgery)
- our role in a multicenter collaborative network, the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, helping hundreds of pediatric eye care experts nationwide to research eye disorders
- special training program (developed by our pediatric eye experts) to teach primary care doctors how to conduct effective eye exams for children from birth to age 5