Kids aren’t always big fans of going to the dentist. Like you, we want your child to have a pediatric dental care experience that’s as pleasant and pain-free as possible. At the Nemours Dental Program, our pediatric dentists are highly trained and experienced in caring for babies, kids and teens, including those with special health care needs. We know how to keep children calm and comfortable so they can have healthy teeth as they grow.
Routine, Specialized and Emergency Dental Care for Kids
Conditions Our Pediatric Dentists See
At Nemours, we see children for both acute (sudden) and chronic (ongoing) oral health problems. In fact, at Nemours we approach managing dental disease the same way we would any other chronic condition. That means we focus on correcting the disease, not just its symptoms (like cavities and tooth pain). We treat children for:
- cavities (when acid wears away the surface of a tooth until a hole, or cavity, forms)
- early crowding (a lack of space for teeth to fit in the mouth)
- hygiene instructions and assistance (guidance on how to take care of your child’s teeth)
- oral complications of other illnesses (other, unrelated conditions that may affect your child’s teeth)
- oral sports injuries (a tooth injury that happens during a sporting event)
- prenatal guidance (advice to expectant mothers about dental care for their baby)
- sport injury prevention (education and support to help prevent tooth injuries while playing sports)
- tongue or lip tie (when tissue in the mouth makes it hard to move the mouth or tongue)
- tooth abscess (a sore filled with fluid)
- tooth avulsion (the complete removal of a tooth from its socket)
- tooth decay (damage to the hard surfaces in the teeth that can lead to cavities)
- tooth discoloration
- tooth fracture (a break or crack in a tooth)
- traumatic injury of the mouth or teeth
Services Our Kids’ Dentists Offer
Our Nemours Dental Program services include routine dental cleanings and emergency pediatric dental care (immediate treatment for tooth and mouth injuries). We also provide, as needed:
- Mild sedation. We use nitrous oxide. That helps take the "edge" off of a visit for kids who are cooperative, but a little nervous.
- Moderate sedation. This gives kids a little deeper state of consciousness to remove a bit more of the “edge.” This works for generally cooperative kids who need to get through a slightly longer procedure or for a shorter, more intense procedure.
- Deep sedation/general anesthesia. Called “sleep dentistry,” this helps very young or very anxious kids, or those with special health care needs have comfortable visits. Our pediatric anesthesiologists are specialists in children’s anesthesia. We even have a team that specializes in giving anesthesia to children with severe cardiac issues.
Why Choose Us for Pediatric Dental Care
At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.), our pediatric dental care team includes dental assistants and pediatric dentists, as well as general dentists who are completing additional in-depth training. Many private practice pediatric dentists send children to us specifically because of our team’s skill in providing excellent sedation dentistry.
Our Nemours Dental Program dentists also have experience in related areas like emergency medicine and speech-language pathology, and expertise in treating both healthy and sick children. We may also consult with pediatric specialists from other medical and surgical areas, especially when it comes to caring for children with complex needs. Whatever your child’s needs, we’re here to offer compassionate, expert pediatric dental care every step of the way.