There’s so much more to pain than physical discomfort, especially for kids. At Nemours, our pain management programs focus on helping children physically and emotionally. That means we offer a variety of therapies to help relieve your child’s pain, both inside and out. We’re dedicated to providing the safest, most effective care for your child with the least possible amount of medication. And our pediatric pain programs are among only a handful in the country that also offers healing services for the entire family.
Less Hurting. More Healing.
Conditions We Treat With Pain Management
We provide advanced pain management care for children and teens. Kids might have pain from any number of things, from injuries to illnesses like:
- abdominal (belly) pain
- arthritis/joint inflammation
- back and leg pain
- behavioral health-related pain (like from anxiety or depression)
- cancer pain
- chronic fatigue (feeling really weak and tired, often with dizziness and headaches)
- neck, shoulder and arm pain
- nerve injuries
- neuromuscular-related pain
- postural orthostatic tachycardia (POTS)/dysautonomia (when there's a problem with the autonomic nervous system, which is the body’s “autopilot” system, controlling things like heart rate, blood pressure and breathing)
- sports injury pain
Some kids have a condition called “amplified musculoskeletal pain syndrome” (AMPS), which causes intense pain that may be constant or may come and go. Depending on how and where it affects the body, AMPS may also be referred to as:
- complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS — also known as “reflex sympathetic dystrophy” — pain in a specific area of the body that’s most often caused by things like a sprained ankle, broken bone or soft tissue injury)
- juvenile fibromyalgia (sometimes called “diffuse amplified pain” or “total body pain” — when kids have muscle pain throughout the body)
Pain Management Services We Offer
Some of the kids we see have complex needs. That’s why your pain management care team may include experts in several specialties like anesthesiology, rehabilitation medicine, psychiatry and psychology (behavioral health). And if your child has a chronic (ongoing) medical condition, we’ll work closely with any other specialists your child sees (like a neurologist or rheumatologist).
Depending on your child’s condition and which doctor or location you visit, your child’s pain management plan may include:
Why Choose Us for Pain Management
At Nemours, we know that children who aren’t little adults. Every child experiences pain differently and it can be hard for kids to describe exactly what they’re feeling. That’s why our team takes the time to get to know your child so we can understand their pain and develop the treatment that works best for them. We also make sure that you, as the family, get the help you need to cope and feel better.
Our program focuses on overall wellness and combines the expertise of doctors from multiple specialties and a variety of therapies to meet your child’s physical, mental and emotional needs. We teach kids to understand how the pain signals in their body work and how they can overcome those signals. That may include things like learning how to breathe in order to manage the pain.
As a team, we work together to help kids function and feel better — and get them back to doing the activities they love. And, because your child’s pain can’t wait, we’re committed to seeing you as quickly as possible.
Regional Pain Management Highlights
At Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando), we offer a multiweek (four-week average) intensive day treatment pain program. Our advanced pain management program is led by one of the world’s top pain specialists who’s board-certified in pediatric anesthesiology and pain management. We focus on helping children with chronic pain that lasts more than three to six months.