At Nemours, our team of experts understand how pediatric sports medicine injuries can impact your child — and how each child's individual growth should be taken into consideration with their personalized rehabilitation program. So we do whatever it takes to diagnose and rehabilitate sports medicine injuries in children and get them back in the game — safely.
Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries We Treat
At Nemours' locations offering Sports Medicine, we treat:
- knee: patellar instability, anterior knee pain, anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus tears, cartilage damage
- ankle: ligament tears, instability, cartilage damage
- shoulder: dislocations, impingement and tendonitis
- elbow: Little Leaguer’s elbow, tennis elbow, loose bodies
- spine: spondylolisthesis (when one spine bone slips in relation to the one below it), muscle strains/sprains
- hip: dance, ice hockey and ice skating injuries
- head: concussions
Preventing Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries
We also focus on preventing an injury before it happens:
- customized conditioning ("prehabilitation") regimens that concentrate on core strengths to prevent overuse injuries and develop good body mechanics
- pre-season screenings
- intervention counseling: when and how to rest, how to play
Locations & Doctors
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Members of the pediatric sports medicine team from Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando come to Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Lake Mary to offer Seminole County athletes expert pediatric closer to home.
Here, we not only assist young athletes with injuries, we work with you to maximize your child’s experience by providing programs and information about sports safety, selection and performance to help prevent injuries before they happen.
Expert, Integrated Pediatric Sports Medicine in Central Florida
Common sports injuries in children include everything from fractures, torn ligaments and sprains, to head injuries and heat exhaustion. That’s why at Nemours, our pediatric sports medicine specialists work closely with neurosurgeons, physical therapists and other pediatric care providers to plan and support your child’s recovery from sports-related injuries, including concussions.
If your child has an existing medical condition (such as asthma, epilepsy or a missing limb), we provide comprehensive evaluation and coordination with other specialists from Nemours, such as pulmonologists, neurologists, orthotists and prosthetists, to provide the most integrated treatment possible.
At your child’s visit, our sports medicine specialist will perform an examination, and then create an evaluation and treatment plan with a projected timeline for recovery. We’ll conduct measurements required to follow your child’s progress.
In addition to evaluation and follow-up care, the pediatric sports medicine team at Lake Mary can also provide:
- nutritional and hydration counseling
- sport selection, exercise tolerance testing and “prehab” for children with chronic illness
- sports-related prosthetics and accommodations for children with disabilities
- guidance for preventing injuries related to dance, cheer, gymnastics, martial arts, etc.
- concussion baseline testing and post-concussion treatment
Our Nemours pediatric sports medicine team treats nearly every acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) sport injury, in kids of all ages. Depending on your child’s condition, we may recommend:
- Medications to reduce inflammation (swelling) and promote healing.
- Surgery may be necessary for repair.
- Rehabilitation to help recover lost strength, range of motion and skills.
If your child needs orthopedic surgery, additional tests, therapies or procedures, we will refer you to Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando’s Lake Nona for expert pediatric care. Your family will feel right at home at a hospital built by families, for families.