Hospice & Palliative Medicine Fellowship
The Palliative and Supportive Medicine teams at Nemours/Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children and ChristianaCare Health System , in affiliation with Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University , are offering a 1-year clinical fellowship to train physicians in either pediatric or adult Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
In this fellowship, you will develop an expertise in the prevention and management of suffering amongst patients (and their caregivers) who are facing serious illness. Graduates will satisfy requirements for board certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
Our Fellowship Program
Our program, which leverages the diverse strengths of the two largest health systems in Delaware, will give you experience in providing direct patient care in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Fellows will participate in the care of a wide array of patients, including transplant candidates, intensive care patients in the NICU, PICU, MICU, CICU and complex health care patients. Education is enhanced through boot camp, didactic sessions, communication workshops, clinical conferences, journal clubs and ethics conferences. Fellows should also expect to participate on the Ethics Committee as part of their education.
The program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) for two trainees beyond the third postgraduate year (PGY 3) level and can accommodate candidates completing residencies in pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine and pediatrics (med/peds), internal medicine or subspecialty fellowships at the appropriate PGY level.
Our fellowship has two available educational tracks. One is focused on adult Hospice and Palliative Medicine (HPM), and the other on pediatric HPM. In either emphasis, you will have similar training experiences and identical expectations for scholarly pursuits and supervision. You will also participate in the same fellowship-wide teaching sessions. The major difference between the two areas of emphasis is that the fellows with the pediatric emphasis will spend the majority of their inpatient consultative time at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children and the fellows with the adult emphasis will spend their inpatient consultative time at Christiana CareHealth System (CCHS).
We are now accepting applications for both the pediatric-focused position as well as the adult-focused position.
During the one-year fellowship, the clinical experiences include:
- Inpatient pediatric palliative medicine consultation service at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
- Inpatient adult palliative medicine consultation service at Christiana Care Health System (CCHS)
- Perinatal palliative care consultations at CCHS
- Inpatient palliative care/hospice unit at Seasons Hospice/CCHS in Newark, Delaware
- Home hospice rotation with Delaware Hospice in Wilmington, Delaware
- Long-term care experience with the Wilmington Veterans Affairs Hospital palliative care program
- Inpatient pain management rotation at CCHS
- Diverse ambulatory experiences will be offered in both the pediatric and adult setting