News & Updates for Medical Professionals
As cases of COVID-19 continue to be confirmed across the United States, we are doing our best to reassure our patient families, associates and affiliates of our preparedness during this public health emergency. As you or your practice receive inquiries from patients we want to work with you to ensure all patients receive the most appropriate care.
A serious complication of COVID-19:
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C)
While COVID-19 usually causes a milder infection in children than in adults, some children become seriously ill – sometimes several weeks after being infected with COVID-19. Learn more »
If you have nonurgent questions about MIS-C or would like to request a consult on a patient displaying symptoms of COVID-19, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Sports Physicals During COVID-19
As a result of the finding that COVID-19 can leave student athletes at an increased risk of myocarditis and other serious complications, Return to Sports evaluations have changed and are more important than ever before. Get guidance from Nemours pediatric specialists on Managing Return to Sports Evaluations in the Age of COVID-19 (PDF) and use this Patient Screening Questionnaire (PDF) to assess risk.
1. Patients identified as at increased risk for COVID-19 infection as defined by current CDC and DOH guidelines should be isolated as much as possible from public spaces and gatherings of noninfected individuals in order to limit the spread in the community. Referring them to hospital EDs increases the rate and likelihood of exposure and spread of COVID-19 in our community.
2. Pediatric patients are apparently at lower risk for serious illness and complication from COVID-19 infection.
1. Patients with significant respiratory distress and anticipated need for admission should be referred to the nearest appropriate ED. If you are referring a patient to a Nemours ED, please call ahead.
2. Asymptomatic patients with positive screening criteria should NOT be referred to any ED for evaluation and should not be tested. They should be quarantined at home and monitored for development of symptoms.
3. Symptomatic patients with positive screening criteria or patients on quarantine at home who become symptomatic should not be referred to any ED for evaluation or testing. Testing is available by local providers in the office setting, or in the ED if they are symptomatic enough to require evaluation.
(NOTE: As above, any patient presenting with respiratory distress should be referred to the nearest ED.)
Effective immediately, Nemours will only be testing pre-surgical, pre-procedural and pre-admission patients at our Mobile Testing Center. We will no longer offer routine testing for pediatric patients from your offices or for adults in the community.
If you have patients who require a COVID-19 test, we encourage you to obtain the test in your office or utilize community-based testing options.
Please check these sites for testing locations and requirements. Most community options do not require a physician referral.
We appreciate your understanding. If you have any questions about these changes, please contact your Nemours Physician Liaison.
Urgent Cares are available for patients who require a nonemergent in-person evaluation. While walk-in service is available, providers should call first for those patients with suspected COVID-19 to allow the clinic to prepare appropriately. Please do not send your patients for the purpose of testing only.
Glen Mills Urgent Care
101 Applied Bank Blvd., Glen Mills, PA 19342
Phone: (484) 800-8744
Hours: Monday–Friday, 3–11 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Advocare Pediatric Urgent Care, in Affiliation with Nemours duPont Pediatrics
Providers should call first for those patients with suspected COVID-19, as testing is only available during certain hours daily, with provider approval.
325 Marlton Pike East, Cherry Hill NJ 08034
Phone: (856) 528-5370
Hours: Monday–Friday, 4-10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children Emergency Department
The duPont Hospital for Children Emergency Department (ED) is for patients who require emergent clinical evaluation only. Providers should call the ED in advance to allow for preparation for a patient with suspected COVID-19. Please do not send your patients for the purpose of testing only.
In an effort to promote social distancing and minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19, Nemours asks providers to help us eliminate walk-in visits by patients who need diagnostic services. We can still provide same-day service but ask that all patient families call to schedule the requested service before arriving at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (N/AIDHC).
- While scheduling the diagnostic appointment, the patient and accompanying parent or caregiver will be screened for possible COVID-19 exposure.
- Processes are in place to safely manage those who screen positive and require diagnostic services.
When arriving at N/AIDHC:
- Only one healthy parent or caregiver may accompany a child. Siblings and other family members or friends may not be present at these visits.
- Caregivers who are sick, are urged to stay home and send another healthy caregiver to be with their child or call us to reschedule their appointment.
- All parents, caregivers and patients over the age of 2 will be required to wear a mask upon entering the building.
- Patients and parent or caregiver are encouraged to arrive wearing their own masks. If they do not have a mask, one will be provided upon entering the building.
For Medical Imaging Services:
Hours: Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (X-ray available after hours at Urgent Care)
Contact: Main Radiology at (302) 651-4636
Special Instructions: Please have family specify the ordering provider’s urgency for the study (same day, within one week, etc.)
For Outpatient Specimen Collection/Laboratory Services:
Hours: Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Contact: Access Center at (302) 651-4200
Special Instructions: Ask family to request a “SAME DAY – URGENT” appointment. This visit type will identify the testing to be immediately necessary.
All Nemours providers are using telehealth via our Nemours CareConnect platform to see new and existing patients when office visits are not necessary.
Please visit nemours.org/specialtytelehealth for information about how we are seeing new patients at our specialty practices.
Nemours CareConnect is also available as a 24/7 urgent care and triage service. If you would like to offer this care option to your patients before they come to your office for care, instructions on how to download and register are below.
You can download Nemours CareConnect from the App Store or Google Play. Follow the steps in the app to enroll and their child can be ready for a video visit at any time.
If you have any questions about Nemours CareConnect or how to download and use it, email us at NemoursCareConnect@nemours.org
Physician Support Contacts
Our physician liaison teams are here to support you. Please contact your representative with any questions.
If you are a Nemours Affiliate and you have questions about our current operations or patient care plans, please contact a member of our team