Arthrogryposis is a condition of the joints and muscles that impairs children’s abilities to use their shoulders, wrists, fingers and lower extremities. From the early evaluation stages to creating a long-term treatment plan, Nemours’ world-renowned orthopedics experts will work closely with your family to determine the best arthrogryposis treatment for your child.
Arthrogryposis refers to a broad group of disorders that result in stiffness or loss of motion of multiple joints. There are many variations of this disease, some mild and some severe. In mild cases, only a few joints may be affected and the child may have nearly full range of motion. In extreme cases, nearly every joint is impacted, including those of the jaw and back.
For most types of arthrogryposis, we don’t fully understand why children have the condition. Some forms of arthrogryposis are the result of disorders of the nerves or muscles. Arthrogryposis can also be part of other medical conditions or syndromes.
Most forms of arthrogryposis cannot be cured. However, splinting, bracing, occupational and physical therapy, and orthopedic surgery are all treatments for arthrogryposis that can help to maintain and maximize a child’s range of motion and function.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient Forms
Returning Patient Forms
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Pediatric neurology specialists at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando are experts in arthrogryposis diagnosis and treatment for children. Nemours neurology team members are board-certified and fellowship-trained to care for kids from birth to age 18. Sometimes other Nemours experts — including pediatric orthopedists and pain management specialists — are also involved in arthrogryposis treatment.
Learn more about:
A Hospital Designed by Families, for Families
At Nemours Children’s Hospital, family-centered care is at the heart of everything we do. In fact, families helped shape the unique amenities and convenient services that make our hospital like no other in the region.
You’ll feel right at home in one of our private patient rooms designed with input from families who know what it’s like to have a child in the hospital.
Our large, comfortable, single-patient rooms have sleeping accommodations for two parents, a private bathroom, wireless Internet access, connections for DVD players and game systems, and two flat-screen TVs.
Other in-room features include:
- full floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- refrigerator for family meals and snacks
- wardrobe storage for personal items and a hotel-style safe
- GetWellNetwork interactive television (uniquely based on your child’s age, medical condition and more) and allows your child to watch TV, surf the Web, check e-mail, play music and games, and learn about your Nemours health care team.
Our “hospital within a garden” setting features many places for you and your family to go for fresh air and relaxation, including a one-acre interactive sensory discovery garden or one of our rooftop gardens on the second and fourth floors.
We have many more comforts and amenities such as:
- complimentary valet and parking
- kid-friendly commons areas for siblings
- café and coffee shop
- nondenominational chapel
- concierge services
If your child needs medical imaging, we offer some of the area’s most advanced pediatric radiology services here on campus at Nemours
Our unique services include:
- interventional radiology: Our team of experts uses image guidance to diagnose and treat diseases and tumors throughout the body. Certain conditions that previously required open surgery can now be treated by Nemours pediatric interventional radiologists. We are very fortunate to have the only dual-trained pediatric diagnostic and interventional radiologist in the state.
- neuroradiological or cardiovascular imaging, and fetal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Our subspecialty-trained pediatric radiologists see children with complex conditions who require this highly specialized imaging.
- Central Florida’s only 256-slice Brilliance iCT Scanner: We are one of only a handful of children’s hospitals in the country to have this latest generation CAT (or CT) scanner that scans faster than most machines and produces excellent images in a much shorter time with much less radiation exposure for the child.
Our team of board-certified pediatric radiologists and pediatric radiologic technologists are experts in the safe medical imaging of children of every age, even newborns.
We have also pledged our commitment to the “Image Gently” campaign of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging, which is increasing awareness of the opportunities to promote radiation protection in the imaging of children.
At Nemours, we want to hear your concerns and share with you everything we can about your child's condition and treatment. If English is not your first language, we'll make sure you understand what to expect — in your language.