Cardiomyopathy is a condition that makes it difficult for the heart to pump blood to the rest of the body. Although some forms of cardiomyopathy in children may resolve, most are lifelong conditions that can be managed but not cured. If your child has cardiomyopathy, our board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons (specialists in surgical procedures of the chest, including the heart and lungs) are here to give them compassionate, skillful care. We will walk side-by-side with your child and family from diagnosis through treatment and beyond — to help your child live life to the fullest.
Accredited Care for Cardiomyopathy
Types of Pediatric Cardiomyopathy We Treat
Our pediatric cardiologists treat all types of cardiomyopathy, but the three most common are:
- dilated cardiomyopathy
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- restrictive cardiomyopathy
Services We Offer for Cardiomyopathy
Pediatric heart care at Nemours offers a full range of services to diagnose and treat cardiomyopathy. These may vary depending on your location or doctor, but include:
- Cardiology. Nonsurgical care and monitoring that uses medicines to help the heart pump better, lower blood pressure, relax the arteries, or remove extra fluid.
- Cardiac Catheterization (Implanted Devices or Ablation). If medicines aren’t enough to manage symptoms, heart specialists may recommend a device be placed — either an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (“ICD”) or a ventricular assist device (“VAD” or pacemaker). Depending on the condition, a procedure called a septal ablation to treat the artery affected by cardiomyopathy may be an option.
- Cardiac Diagnostic Testing and Kid-Friendly Imaging. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages, including fetal testing for babies still in the womb.
- Heart Surgery. For cardiomyopathy, a type of open-heart surgery may be needed called a septal myectomy.
- Heart Transplants (available in the Delaware Valley only). In some cases, a heart transplant may be needed.
Why Choose Us for Cardiomyopathy
At the Nemours Cardiac Center, our team has the expertise to provide accurate, efficient diagnosis and treatment. The team of pediatric heart experts are knowledgeable in the latest advances and techniques in treating cardiomyopathy in children. Many are named to the Best Doctors in America® list, year after year. In addition to providing diagnosis and treatment, the Nemours Cardiac Center teams participate in ongoing research with other pediatric cardiac institutions — so every kid can benefit from our experience and have hope for a healthier future.
Regional Cardiomyopathy Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer care for kids with cardiomyopathy at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
They are also a designated Accredited Center of Care by The Children’s Cardiomyopathy Foundation Program. This recognizes medical centers with expertise in pediatric cardiomyopathy who provide high-quality cardiac care and specialized disease management to children with cardiomyopathy.
We offer for kids with cardiomyopathy at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned team of pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons in the Nemours Cardiac Center at Nemours Children’s Hospital is just for cardiac patients. They are also in the process of becoming a designated Accredited Center of Care by The Children’s Cardiomyopathy Foundation Program . This recognizes medical centers with expertise in pediatric cardiomyopathy who provide high-quality cardiac care and specialized disease management to children with cardiomyopathy.
We offer care for kids with cardiomyopathy at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in located in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).