Even when a child in crisis is hours away from our hospital, we can bring life-saving heart and lung support technology to them. It’s called “extracorporeal membrane oxygenation” (“ECMO,” for short). During their trip to Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children — by helicopter, ambulance or airplane — a child’s heart and lungs can get help from a mobile ECMO machine. This gives these organs time to rest and heal. We’re the only hospital in the region to provide this advanced pediatric ECMO transport.
Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Transport
Life-Saving Care for Kids, From There to Here
ECMO Transport Services We Offer
We provide ECMO services (also sometimes called “extracorporeal life support,” or “ECLS”) for critically ill newborns, babies, kids and teens. In a unique arrangement, Nemours doctors can see children for an ECMO evaluation on-site at the referring hospital where the child is staying. This is a helpful option when a child is unstable and may be at high risk for complications during transport.
The Nemours ECMO transport team can place an unstable patient on ECMO at the referring hospital. We can then transport the child to duPont Hospital for Children in a stabilized condition for as long as needed.
Once at our hospital, our ECMO care team members may include:
- attending physician/surgeon — the doctor in charge of your child’s care
- ECMO coordinator — the manager of the ECMO department who acts as an extra resource for the care team
- ECMO physician — a doctor who specializes in ECMO treatment
- ECMO specialist — a nurse, respiratory therapist or perfusionist who’s specially trained to monitor the machine
- perfusionist — a specialist with advanced training in heart-lung machines and ECMO
- respiratory therapist — a specialist in ventilators (breathing machines) and lung care
- nurse — a pediatric nurse who cares for your child in the hospital
- nurse practitioner — a nurse with advanced training and education who provides care under the guidance of the attending physician/surgeon
- social worker — a professional who helps families cope
Why Choose Us for ECMO Transport
Together, the experienced doctors and nurses on our ECMO transport team have been involved in hundreds of ECMO cases. And in recognition of our commitment to high standards and exceptional care, duPont Hospital for Children’s ECMO program received the Award for Excellence in Life Support from the international Extracorporeal Life Support Organization in 2013.
Regional ECMO Transport Highlights
We offer ECMO transport services at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- the state’s only neonatal (newborn) ECMO center
- Gold Level Award for Excellence in Life Support from the international Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO)
- only the second children’s hospital in the country designated an Accredited Heart Failure Institute
- guaranteed transfer of your child back to their original hospital as soon as appropriate
- on-site evaluation at other hospitals
- case management team member to help with insurance issues
- Ronald McDonald House of Delaware across from our campus, for an affordable home away from home during long hospital stays