Safety and Injury Prevention Program
- Available Programs
- Sports & Concussions
Dog Safety | Age: 4-7 year olds | Duration 30 minutes
- This program begins with a story of a family bringing home their first puppy. During the story, the kids learn how to safely interact with a dog and how to prevent a bite. After the story, depending on age and group size, there may be additional activities to further educate on dog safety.
Playground Safety | Age: Kindergarten–2nd grade | Duration: 25 minutes
- This program has the option for schools to customize the rules and equipment to the school’s playground.
The Safety Champs Wild West Adventure | Age: Kindergarten–2nd grade | Duration: 30 minutes
- The Safety Champs Wild West Adventure is an interactive, oversized book that will teach children about bicycle and helmet safety. There is also an egg drop session to demonstrate what can happen when you do and do not wear a helmet.
Brain & Spinal Cord Injury Prevention | Age: 3rd–5th grade | Duration: 40-50 minutes
- This interactive program teaches the importance of protecting your brain and spinal cord. Children participate in an interactive demonstration explaining how the brain and spinal cord work together. Children learn ways to prevent injuries. This program can be customized to address specific safety topics such as: safety while riding a bike, in a car, on a school bus, playing on the playgrounds, and being a pedestrian.
The Safety Champs Pit Crew Adventure | Age: Kindergarten–2nd grade | Duration: 20 minutes
- The Safety Champs Pit Crew Adventure is an oversized book that will teach students about pedestrian, school bus, and car safety.
Infant Seats 101/Fall Prevention | Duration :1 hour
- Audience: Anyone who is planning to, or is currently using, an infant seat/base
- Learn key tips for the correct use and installation of an infant seat and base. The program will also review general tips on preventing falls in infants under the age of one.
Introducing the Family Dog to Your New Infant | Duration: 20 minutes
- Audience: expectant or new parents/caregivers who own a dog
- Bringing a new baby home can be stressful for your dog. Learn tips to help make that transition easier for the entire family.
Child Passenger Safety | Duration: 1 hour
- Audience: anyone using a car seat
- This presentation will discuss key tips/tricks for the proper use of car seats. This discussion includes infant seats through the use of seat belts, as well as when to safely graduate your child to the next seat.
Medical Staff Programs:
How to Answer Your Patient's Car Seat Questions | Duration: 20 minutes
- Audience: pediatrician office staff
- This program reviews the top car seat questions that parents ask during doctors visits. Learn the most up to date information to correctly answer questions from parents and caregivers.
Infant Carriers/Fall Prevention | Duration: 20 minutes
- Audience: NICU, Labor and Delivery medical staff
- At some point during the hospitalization, you will see the newborn in the car seat carrier. This program will discuss common infant carrier mistakes and misuses. Learn how to educate parents/caregivers prior to discharge. The program will also reviews tips on preventing falls in infants under the age of one.
To learn more or to schedule these FREE programs, contact:
The Nemours Center for Sports Medicine
At the Nemours Center for Sports Medicine, we help kids and teens safely play the sports they love, from Little League through high school. We provide medical and surgical care, treatment, physical therapy, nutrition and certified athletic training, treating concussions and a wide range of injuries. We’ll give your child an individualized rehabilitation plan, therapy and performance improvement program — all in the region’s largest pediatric sports medicine facility.
Safe Kids is a worldwide nonprofit partnership of community organizations dedicated to keeping children safe. Nemours Children’s Hospital, Delaware, is a Safe Kids partner.
- Teaches families about child safety, injury risks and prevention
- Encourages and conducts research on leading injury risks
- Evaluates solutions for injury risks
- Works to pass and improve child safety laws and regulations
- Provides lifesaving devices such as child safety seats, helmets, and smoke alarms to families who need them
- Promotes corporate leadership in child safety through effective and sustainable partnerships
Safe Kids Events
Help teach children about safety while they have fun
Safe Kids Events teach children safety and injury prevention through fun, hands-on activities. Safe Kids has safety events in all 50 states, including car seat checks, educational workshops and sports safety clinics.