Leukemia is cancer of the white blood cells, and it’s the most common cancer children get. With the right treatment, pediatric leukemia can be managed (put in “remission”) and even completely cured. The experts in our Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders are here to help your family by giving them the support services they need, while providing cancer treatment that offers your child the best outcomes. Our programs and care teams are designed to help kids not just live, but live longer — and with a better quality of life.
Renowned Treatment and Support for Blood Cancers
Types of Pediatric Leukemia We Treat
These conditions include:
- acute lymphoblastic leukemia or “ALL” (also called acute lymphocytic leukemia or lymphoid leukemia)
- acute myeloid leukemia or “AML” (also called acute myelogenous or myeloblastic leukemia)
- chronic myelogenous leukemia or “CML” (also called chronic myeloid leukemia)
- juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia or “JMML”
Services We Offer for Leukemia
We offer a variety of diagnostic and treatment services, which may vary depending on your child’s symptoms, the specialist your child sees, and your location, including:
- blood and bone marrow transplants (also called “stem cell transplants”) from a donor or using your child’s own cells
- bone marrow aspiration and biopsy for diagnosis, donor matching, and other tests
- chemotherapy plans by pediatric specialists and pharmacists
- registered dietitians trained to care for kids during leukemia treatment
- genetic testing to help with diagnosis and treatment
- immunotherapy boosts your child’s immune system to destroy cancer
- palliative care helps with symptoms and offers support for your child and family
- pain management programs to ease symptoms from treatment
- radiation therapy like external beam
- targeted drug therapy delivers cancer medicines only where needed
Why Choose Us for Leukemia Care
At Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (“NCCBD”), our renowned oncologists (cancer doctors), hematologists (blood disorder specialists), and researchers work together to diagnose and treat all types of leukemia. As a member of the Children’s Oncology Group, we’re also actively involved in pediatric cancer research, and have many opportunities for clinical trial enrollment. We also offer:
- above average survival rates for pediatric leukemia plus a focus on symptom management and side-effects
- blood and bone marrow transplant programs accredited by the Foundation for Accreditation of Cellular Therapies (FACT)
- monitoring and follow-ups including late-effect and teen survivor programs
- long-term specialty care that meets the needs of your child as they grow
Regional Leukemia Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete leukemia care for kids at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.), named one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Outpatient and follow-up appointments are available at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We also collaborate with the National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Helen F. Graham Cancer Center at Christiana Care (in Newark, Del.) and the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University (in Philadelphia).
Our Palliative and Supportive Care Program located at duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) provides compassionate care for families and children coping with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions.
We offer complete leukemia care for kids at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando). Outpatient and follow-up appointments are available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
The Infusion Center located at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando offers private rooms for kids who need chemotherapy on an outpatient basis.
We offer complete leukemia care for kids at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville. Outpatient and follow-up appointments are available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Nemours pediatric specialists provide the cancer care at our affiliate, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, named one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.