Retinoblastoma is a type of eye cancer that affects the retina, the inner layer of the eye. Although it can happen at any age, it’s usually diagnosed in children under two years old —often while a baby is still in the womb. At Nemours, the oncology experts in our Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders work closely with our pediatric ophthalmologists to diagnose and treat eye tumors early, even in the tiniest newborns.
Top-Notch Retinoblastoma Care, Treatment and Outcomes
Services We Offer for Retinoblastoma
We provide treatment for children of all ages with retinoblastoma (hereditary and sporadic types). We offer a variety of diagnostic and medical services, which vary depending on your location, including:
- fetal diagnostic testing in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers may identify retinoblastoma during pregnancy
- ophthalmology for diagnosis and long-term monitoring
- genetic counseling helps with diagnosis since retinoblastoma can be inherited (passed from parent to child)
- bone marrow aspiration and biopsy to make sure cancer has not spread
- chemotherapy is cancer medicines that can be targeted to eye tumors if the cancer hasn’t spread
- cryotherapy uses extremely cold gases to stop cancer cells
- enucleation (eye removal) to keep cancer from spreading to other parts of the body
- radiation and laser therapy to target tumors and preserve healthy tissue
- radiology (medical imaging) such as X-rays, CT scans and MRIs
Why Choose Us
Our comprehensive care teams in the Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (a Children’s Oncology Group member institution) work together with Nemours ophthalmology specialists and affiliate institutions to offer the most advanced treatment options for kids of all ages with retinoblastoma. Our Nemours specialists are also pioneers in detecting ophthalmologic disorders in utero (while babies are still in the womb). This helps us diagnose and provide retinoblastoma treatment as early as possible, so that kids have the best chance at excellent outcomes.
Regional Retinoblastoma Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams for retinoblastoma differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete retinoblastoma care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We offer complete retinoblastoma care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
We offer proton beam therapy for retinoblastoma as part of our collaboration with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).
We offer complete retinoblastoma care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville (working with Wolfson Children’s Hospital and a retina specialist at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville ). Outpatient appointments are also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
We offer proton beam therapy for retinoblastoma as part of an integrated pediatric program with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).