Even mild hearing loss can affect a child’s ability to speak and understand language, as well as impact behavioral development. Nemours' audiologists use state-of-the-art technology and innovative testing techniques to assess your child’s hearing sensitivity. We can evaluate and treat hearing at any age, beginning at birth.
Hearing loss in children occurs in an estimated three out of every 1,000 babies born in the United States each year. At Nemours, we are dedicated to finding the best solutions to address each child’s hearing impairment, and we’re committed to counseling and educating families to be advocates for their children in the community.
We have board certified audiologists who are licensed with specialized experience in pediatric audiology.
Our audiologists help diagnose and develop treatment plans for children with hearing disorders such as:
- hearing loss
- (central) auditory processing disorder (APD)
- auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder (ANSD)
- balance (vestibular) and dizziness disorders
At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children and a number of Nemours Children’s Clinic locations in the Delaware Valley and North and Central Florida, we are also able to provide children with hearing impairment special services.
These services include:
- prescriptions for hearing aids and other assistive and/or amplification devices as well as instruction on the use, care and maintenance of these devices
- cochlear implant, programming and therapy
- counseling for families regarding adjustment to hearing aids and cochlear implants
- specialized programs for children diagnosed with central auditory processing disorder or auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder
- working with a child’s school and teacher to ensure proper classroom equipment and modifications are in place
We look forward to forming close relationships with our patients and monitoring their progress over time.
For Appointments: (407) 650-7715
- Elyssa McRae, AuD
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
Bring these forms for your first appointment:
New Patient & Patients (who have had recent testing or medication changes)
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- all prior audiology, otolaryngology and/or screening reports
- names of all medications
When it comes to providing exceptional pediatric audiology care, we know that convenience can be just as important as quality. That’s why certified audiologists from Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando extend their expertise to patients and families at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Melbourne.
If your child experiences symptoms related to hearing loss, auditory processing disorder or auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder, our pediatric audiologists can perform audiology tests, evaluations and treatments, closer to home.
Testing & Services Available at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Melbourne
At Nemours, our certified pediatric audiologists are experienced in working with kids who require special care, and they can perform diagnostic tests that are tailored to your child’s age, stage of development and health. In Melbourne, Nemours offers most types of testing, including:
- general hearing diagnostics
- behavioral audiometry testing
- tympanometry and middle ear muscle reflex (MEMR) testing
- otoacoustic emissions (OAE) testing
- hearing aid fitting and repairs
- earmold fitting
If more specialized testing (like cochlear implant evaluations) or a procedure is necessary, our pediatric audiologists will refer your child to Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando’s Lake Nona area.
Providing Specialized Pediatric Audiology Care for Children With Special Needs
At Nemours, our pediatric audiologists are experienced helping kids with special needs. They also work closely with pediatric otolaryngologists (ear, nose and throat, or "ENT" specialists) on site in Melbourne, as well as other specialists — such as neurologists, geneticists and speech and language pathologists — at Nemours Children’s Hospital. This means your child can receive the best care possible within one children’s health system.