Bone tumors can happen in children and teens, and they may be benign (not cancer) or malignant (cancer). Although benign tumors are more common, both types can grow and affect healthy bone tissue. The oncologists (cancer doctors) in our internationally recognized Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders work closely with Nemours orthopedic specialists to treat bone tumors, because our orthopedic programs are among the largest and most widely respected in the world. This teamwork allows us to remove even the most difficult tumors, and offer limb-sparing treatment for bone tumors not available at other children’s hospitals.
World Renowned Bone Tumor Treatment
Types of Pediatric Bone Tumors We Treat
We offer treatment for all types of bone tumors, including:
- Askin tumors
- bone cysts (non-cancer growths)
- cartilage tumors
- Ewing sarcoma
- nonossifying fibromas (also called “fibroxanthomas”)
- polyostotic fibrous dysplasia (McCune-Albright syndrome)
Services We Offer for Bone Tumors
We offer a range of diagnostic and treatment services, which may vary depending on your location, including:
- blood and bone marrow transplants (also called “stem cell transplants”)
- bone marrow aspiration and biopsy for diagnosis and testing
- chemotherapy (cancer medicines) prepared by pediatric specialists and pharmacists
- genetic testing to help with diagnosis and personalized treatment
- immunotherapy helps the body’s own immune system destroy tumors
- integrative medicine includes non-medical therapies like massage, yoga, water therapy
- interventional radiology is a minimally invasive way to treat bone tumors
- orthopedic care includes world renowned programs and experts in limb reconstruction
- orthotics and prosthetics shops on site that use state-of-the-art materials
- pain management for symptoms and to ease discomfort after surgery
- physical medicine and rehabilitation offers physical, occupational and speech therapy
- proton therapy is advanced radiation to target bone tumors
- radiation includes external beam therapy
- radiology (medical imaging) such as X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, also MIBG or bone scans
- registered dietitians help with nutrition support during chemotherapy and beyond
- surgery by board-certified pediatric general surgeons to remove tumors
- targeted drug therapy delivers cancer medicines only where needed
Why Choose Us for Bone Tumor Treatment
Along with our renowned oncologists and researchers from the Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, we rank among the very best in the country for both pediatric orthopedics and cancer care. Our combined expertise allows us to diagnose and treat common, rare and complex bone tumors. We also offer:
- coordinated cancer care for your child and family that includes support services during treatment and long-term follow-up programs
- international leaders in pediatric research and care in cancer and orthopedics
- world class facilities and innovative surgical techniques that minimize surgery risks and save children’s limbs affected by bone tumors
Regional Bone Tumor Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete bone tumor and orthopedic care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We offer complete bone tumor and orthopedic care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
We offer proton therapy as part of our collaboration with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).
We offer complete bone tumor and orthopedic care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville. Outpatient and follow-up appointments are available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Nemours pediatric specialists provide the cancer care at our affiliate, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, named one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
We’re also part of an integrated pediatric program with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).