Nemours pediatric geneticists are children’s doctors with special training in genetics — the study of how characteristics are passed down from generation to generation. Kids inherit half of their DNA from mom and half from dad. Tucked away in that DNA are tens of thousands of genes. Genes define family traits, and many could carry a hidden genetic disorder. Our genetics team decodes these hidden messages and explains it all to you in a way that makes sense.
Expert Diagnosis & Care for Kids’ Genetic Disorders
Conditions We Treat
Kids may be referred to Nemours’ genetics team if they have a:
- birth defect
- family history of a genetic condition
- known or possible metabolic disease (the metabolic system affects our energy and growth)
- medical problem with an unknown cause
- problem with growth and development, learning, or behavior
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
Services We Offer
We offer a variety of treatment services, which may vary depending on the condition, including:
- genetic counseling to help families look at their risk of passing on the condition to future generations
- pre-adoption evaluation (reviewing the child’s medical history, physical examination, and any available X-ray or test results)
- testing for more than 30 childhood genetic conditions at the Nemours Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Why Choose Us
Named Top Doctors in local magazines and Best Doctors in America®, many of our geneticists are recognized among the best in the country. Our doctors and genetic counselors embrace the sometimes challenging task of trying to figure out the causes of a wide range of complex problems in children. We may involve siblings and adult relatives too to see if the disease could affect current or future generations.
Our team is constantly doing research to discover new and better tests and treatments. Your child’s genes impact every part of their health, so we also work closely with specialists in other areas. And we can schedule appointments with multiple providers on the same day to save you time.
Regional Genetics Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer pediatric genetics care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- among the world’s leading genetics and orthopedics experts in skeletal dysplasia (dwarfism)
- one of the only pediatric hospitals in the country to offer a MAP Program to treat children with genetic disorders related to a set of genes (called the “Ras/MAPK signaling pathway”) that affect how a child’s organs were formed
- Nemours eXtraordinarY Kids Program, a full set of services (in partnership with endocrinology) for children with abnormal “X” or “Y” chromosomes — the part of the genetic code that determines a child’s sex