Myocarditis is a condition that causes the heart to become enlarged (inflamed). It affects kids of all ages and can be mild to very serious. That’s because pediatric myocarditis happens for many reasons, including illnesses, bad reactions to medicine, or because of a congenital (present at birth) heart defect. Our Nemours Cardiac Center team has the experience to identify the cause of your child’s myocarditis symptoms.
Expert, Coordinated Care for Myocarditis in Children
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and heart surgeons are here to answer your questions and provide the latest treatment options — including heart transplants. And if your child’s myocarditis is caused by an immune condition (like lupus), our pediatric heart care teams work together with other Nemours specialists to deliver expert care, delivered with compassion.
Services We Offer for Myocarditis
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care for myocarditis. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Allergy & Immunology. Because myocarditis can be caused by a reaction to certain medications or by an underlying inflammatory condition (when the body’s immune system attacks its own tissues) such as lupus.
- Cardiac Catheterization. A procedure used to diagnose or treat cardiac problems by inserting a thin plastic, flexible tube (called a “catheter”) into an artery or vein, and threading it through the bloodstream into the heart and its large blood vessels.
- Cardiac Diagnostics and Kid-Friendly Imaging. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages, including babies still in the womb.
- Cardiology. Your child’s cardiologist will help with medications and monitoring, as well as long-term treatment plans and preventive care.
- ECMO. Also known as extracorporeal life support or “ECLS,” this treats serious problems or assists during procedures, using the technology to give hearts and lungs a chance to rest and heal.
- Heart Surgery. We offer advanced procedures for congenital heart disease performed by board-certified, fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgeons.
- Heart Transplants (available in the Delaware Valley only). In severe cases, a heart transplant may be needed.
Why Choose Us for Myocarditis Care
World-class pediatric heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to manage even the most complex conditions. Our Nemours Cardiac Center teams treat a vast array of heart conditions, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches. Our specialty is the early detection of congenital heart disease. In addition to providing diagnosis and treatment, the Nemours Cardiac Center teams participate in ongoing research with other pediatric cardiac institutions — so every child can benefit from our experience and have hope for a healthier future.
Regional Myocarditis Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer myocarditis care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
We offer myocarditis care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including dedicated cardiac anesthesiologists and state-of-the-art cardiac intensive care unit (CICU).
We offer myocarditis care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).