The endocrine system is made up of hormone-producing glands that affect your child’s growth and development, puberty, energy level and mood. These glands need to release just the right amount of hormones into the bloodstream to ensure that your child’s body functions properly. At Nemours, our pediatric endocrinologists work as a team to diagnose endocrine conditions, determine a plan of care, and offer our patients and their families support and education at every step.
Help for Hormones & Growth
Conditions We Treat
Type 1 diabetes — also known as juvenile diabetes — is the most common condition we treat. Many other endocrine disorders, from thyroid issues to menstrual problems, stem from hormonal imbalances that can respond well to expert treatment.
We see a full spectrum of conditions — far too many to list here. The conditions we treat vary depending upon the location and providers selected. Don’t see a condition listed? Call us.
- adrenal disorders (Addison disease, Cushing syndrome)
- bone diseases and disorders of calcium and vitamin D (rickets and osteoporosis)
- diabetes (type 1 and type 2)
- genetic disorders (Turner syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, Noonan syndrome, Russell Silver syndrome)
- hyperlipidemia/hypercholesterolemia (too much cholesterol in the blood)
- hypoglycemic disorders (when blood sugar levels are abnormally low)
- insulin resistance (when the body doesn’t respond well to insulin)
- pituitary disorders (diabetes insipidus, hypopituitarism)
- polycystic ovary syndrome (and other menstrual disorders)
- puberty disorders (premature/precocious puberty, delayed puberty)
- sexual differentiation disorders (ambiguous genitalia)
- short stature (growth hormone deficiency)
- thyroid diseases (hypothyroidism/Hashimoto’s disease, hyperthyroidism/Graves disease)
Services We Offer
We offer comprehensive services, which may vary depending upon the condition and location:
- blood sugar level monitoring (through glucose meters, continuous glucose monitoring)
- blood tests (for diabetes and other disorders)
- body composition tests (to determine the percentage of fat vs. lean muscle tissue)
- bone density tests (to determine bone strength)
- continuous glucose monitoring therapy (to provide real-time blood sugar readings every few minutes)
- growth hormone secretion tests (to measure the amount of growth hormone in blood)
- hormonal deficiency tests (to check for hormone imbalances or issues)
- insulin pump therapy and education (required classes on initiating and using pump therapy)
- nutrition assessment and therapy (education led by dietitians on food and beverage choices to help manage diabetes)
- X-rays (to look at bone age — how much the bones have matured)
Why Choose Us
At Nemours, your child can benefit from a team approach to care that may include (depending on the location) board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, dietitians, social workers, psychologists, diabetes educators and nurses who specialize in treating endocrine disorders. We work together to create a personalized treatment plan designed specifically for your child.
Nemours researchers also investigate diabetes, obesity, growth and nutrition from different perspectives (such as how conditions affect kids’ bodies, genes, emotions and behavior). We participate in type 1 diabetes TrialNet, an international network of researchers exploring ways to prevent, delay and research the progression of the condition. Just as important, we take a family-centered approach that includes medical and lifestyle initiatives to help manage your child’s care at home and at school.
Regional Pediatric Endocrinology Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer comprehensive endocrinology care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics satellite locations.
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Accredited Center of Excellence
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Recognition Award for dedication to the children of Delaware with diabetes
- full-service diabetes program, with cutting-edge management of the newest insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring systems
- diabetes networking nights (educational opportunities, activities, support and socializing for patients and families)
- new onset diabetes education (information on daily diabetes management for families with a newly diagnosed child with type 1 or type 2 diabetes)
- comprehensive service for all thyroid disorders, including thyroid cancer
- annual nutrition visits for all of our diabetes patients
- refresher education class on daily diabetes management
- Diabetes Collaborative Clinic (combined diabetes endocrinology and psychology care)
- Transgender Multidisciplinary Clinic (with adolescent medicine, psychology and endocrinology providers)
We offer comprehensive endocrinology care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care satellite locations.
- most complete American Diabetes Association (ADA)-certified diabetes multidisciplinary program in Central Florida
- leader in Central Florida in providing patients with diabetes the latest technology (more than 30 percent of our diabetic patients are treated with insulin pumps and/or continuous glucose monitoring sensors)
- state-of-the-art Endocrine Infusion Center used for all types of outpatient hormonal stimulation tests (performing more than 1,000 hormonal tests per year)
- clinical division with highest number of patients seen at the hospital in 2017 (with 12,000 patient visits) and the highest number of physicians with patient satisfaction survey scores in the 99th percentile
- involvement in multiple research clinical trials in different areas of endocrinology, involving growth disorders, diabetes and precocious (early) puberty
- multiple outpatient locations in Central Florida offering endocrinology care
- collaborations with other specialties to offer comprehensive thyroid care for kids — becoming the only hospital in Central Florida to provide radioactive iodine therapy to patients with thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism, and creating the most complete multidisciplinary team in Central Florida specialized in thyroid surgery
- partnership with neurology to become the only endocrine division in Central Florida specialized in treating osteoporosis in patients with spinal muscular atrophy and Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Accredited Center of Excellence, treating 1,000 children with diabetes (90 percent with type 1) — includes a team of highly talented certified diabetes educators, cutting-edge technology and insulin and hypoglycemia management, dietary and nutrition counseling, 24-hour on-call coverage for diabetes-related emergencies, full-time counselor for prompt individual and family counseling, and a specialized program for children with poorly controlled diabetes management
- partner in North Florida Pediatric Diabetes Center (with Wolfson Children’s Hospital)
- specialized consultation for disorders of growth and puberty and diabetes, drawing referrals from across the country and the world for children with complex medical conditions who need our pediatric endocrinologists' expert care and advice
- access to state-of-the-art diagnostic screenings and other services at Wolfson Children’s Hospital, including assessments on bone age and body composition, and tests to measure growth hormone deficiency and more
- fellowship program in collaboration with the University of Florida, training the next generation of endocrinologists
We offer comprehensive endocrinology care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and select satellite locations.
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Accredited Center of Excellence
- recognized diabetes education program with the most current technology (using insulin pumps, continuous glucose monitors and electronic review of diabetes control)
- research studies looking at new, longer-lasting growth hormone products
- close collaboration with other specialties (e.g., orthopedics on treatment of osteogenesis imperfecta, and gastroenterology for children who aren’t growing well due to inflammatory bowel problems or trouble absorbing nutrients)
- Camp Seale Harris (working with camp to provide education, socializing and fun for kids with diabetes)