We know that when your child needs a kidney transplant, it’s about so much more than an operation. Our highly experienced, kidney transplant team will help you manage your child’s illness, educate you about your options and help your child recover. Led by world-class pediatric transplant surgeon, our team cares for the sickest children and makes them as comfortable as possible during the transplant evaluation process as well after transplantation. We'll be with you throughout your family's journey, and we’ll continue to care for your child until it’s time to transition to adult care.
Kidney Transplant Program
Excellent Outcomes Offer Hope for a Better Tomorrow
Why Choose Us for Kidney Transplant Surgery
Our transplant program at Nemours/Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children is a national leader in the field. With decades of experience and a long history of successful transplants, our team cares for children with even the most complex, severe kidney disease. Our clinical outcomes make us one of the nation’s best for kidney transplants in kids.
- Led by world-class pediatric transplant surgeon Stephen Dunn, MD, our team of highly experienced specialists excels at caring for the sickest transplant patient candidates while continuing to achieve outcomes that are among the best in the nation.
- One of the first programs to offer living donor procedures, allowing a living donor to donate one of their kidneys for transplantation. And that makes it possible for more children to get a transplant sooner.
- A highly compassionate, personalized program with extensive support for patients and families from experienced Nemours transplant teams (Child Life, social workers), and coordinated access to patient support organizations such as Delaware’s STAR Kids Inc. and Gift of Life Donor Program .
- Families have access to the on-site Ronald McDonald House of Delaware that provides a “home away from home,” for families of sick children, keeping them together and close to their hospitalized child.
Your Pediatric Kidney Transplantation Team
Before and after your child's kidney transplant, we offer a variety of treatment services from highly experienced transplant team members who have dedicated their lives to helping children like yours:
- Kidney Transplant Coordinators — a specially trained nurse practitioner who serves as your point person, arranging all the details of your child’s care
- Kidney Transplant Surgeons — who are trained and board-certified in pediatric surgery, with further training in pediatric kidney transplants
- Nephrologists — kidney care physicians who evaluate and treat kids with kidney (renal) problems
- Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialist — a physician with expertise in preventing and treating infections and infectious diseases in children. This physician provides an initial patient assessment as well as consultation and care before and after transplantation.
- Transplant Anesthesiologist — an anesthesiologist specialized in caring for children undergoing transplantation. This anesthesiologist has expertise in the unique technical aspects of the transplant procedure which allows skilled support to the patient and surgeon during the procedure and with post-operative care.
- Dietitians/Nutritionists — who offer advice and meal plans for kids with specific nutritional needs
- Physical and Occupational Therapists — who encourage specific activities and movement to make sure your child is physically strong before leaving the hospital
- Social Workers — who provide your child and family emotional support, and helps you prepare for each step of the process
- Psychologists and Psychiatrists — who offer a wide range of emotional support services
- Child Life Specialists — who are specially trained to work with kids who are sick and receiving treatment in a hospital setting
- Financial Coordinators — who work with you and your insurance company to arrange all financial aspects of your child’s care before and after the transplant