Pulmonary valve regurgitation (pulmonary insufficiency or “PR”) is a congenital (present at birth) heart defect. PR can also be caused by other health conditions such as infections and pulmonary hypertension. At Nemours Cardiac Center, we offer leading-edge capabilities to detect heart problems early, including babies still in the womb. If your child is experiencing PR, our pediatric cardiologists and heart surgeons work together with other Nemours specialists to find the reason for your child’s symptoms. Our expert pediatric care teams provide the latest in research-backed care, with supportive services for your family — from diagnosis through treatment, and beyond.
Pulmonary Valve Regurgitation
Expert, Gentle Care for Pulmonary Insufficiency in Children
Services We Offer for Pulmonary Valve Regurgitation
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care, and any related conditions causing your child’s pulmonary insufficiency (e.g., infections). Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Cardiac Catheterization. A procedure used to diagnose or treat cardiac problems by inserting a thin plastic, flexible tube (called a “catheter”) into an artery or vein, and threading it through the bloodstream into the heart and its large blood vessels.
- Cardiac Diagnostics and Kid-Friendly Imaging. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages, including babies still in the womb.
- Cardiology. Your child’s cardiologist will provide long-term treatment including medications, monitoring and preventive care.
- Cardiovascular Genetics Counseling. For conditions that are caused, at least in part, by changes in genes.
- ECMO. Also known as extracorporeal life support or “ECLS,” this treats serious problems or assists during procedures, using the technology to give hearts and lungs a chance to rest and heal.
- Fetal Diagnostics. Early detection in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers help us diagnose some congenital heart defects and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born.
- Heart Surgery. We offer advanced procedures to repair congenital heart defects, performed by board-certified, fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgeons.
Why Choose Us for Pulmonary Valve Regurgitation Care
World-class children’s heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to heal even the most complex conditions. Our cardiac surgeons treat a vast array of heart defects in even the tiniest newborns, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches. Our specialty is the early detection and repair of heart problems. Our heart specialists have been recognized for their commitment to delivering top-notch, compassionate care to children with congenital heart disease.
Regional Pulmonary Valve Regurgitation Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer pulmonary valve regurgitation care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
We offer pulmonary valve regurgitation care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including dedicated cardiac anesthesiologists and state-of-the-art cardiac intensive care unit (CICU).
We offer pulmonary valve regurgitation care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).