Nemours is one of the only pediatric centers in the country to offer children with liver tumors an advanced alternative therapy called “transarterial radioembolization with Yttrium-90” (“TARE-Y90” or “Y90,” for short). TARE-Y90 can act as a bridge to liver surgery or transplant by delivering a high dose of radiation therapy (also called “radiotherapy”) directly into liver tumors.
Giving Kids With Liver Tumors Options — and Hope
Conditions We Treat With TARE-Y90 Therapy
The Nemours Liver Tumor Program may use TARE-Y90 to treat:
- hepatoblastoma (HB) — the most common type of liver tumor in very young children, usually under 3 years old
- hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) — a liver tumor that’s more common in adults but can affect older kids
- rhabdoid tumor of the liver — a rare, aggressive tumor most often found in babies
- undifferentiated sarcoma of the liver (UESL) — also called “malignant mesenchymoma” or “embryonic sarcoma,” a rare liver tumor that most often affects children 6-10 years old
Your child may be a candidate for TARE-Y90 if:
What to Expect With TARE-Y90 Therapy
Our interventional radiologist (a doctor who specializes in image-guided therapy) provides the unique minimally invasive transarterial radioembolization with Yttrium-90 treatment. “Minimally invasive” means we use tiny incisions — and that means short recovery times and less pain for kids.
"Transarterial" means the doctor delivers the radiation through the arteries in and around the tumors by using a catheter (a long, thin tube) which goes in through the leg/groin.
"Radioembolization" means the radioactive particles are delivered to the tumor through the blood vessel that supplies it. This keeps the radiation from spreading and causing damage to the healthy liver tissue around the tumors.
"Yttrium-90" is the radioactive substance that’s sent into the tumor.
The TARE-Y90 treatment is sort of like inserting a flexible straw (catheter) through a hose (the blood vessel). The radiation is delivered through the straw, as millions of tiny radioactive beads, all over the tumor. Unlike typical radiation therapy, this therapy targets the tumor itself, not just the general area. And that means the rest of a child’s liver isn’t exposed to radiation.
TARE-Y90 is very effective in killing cancer cells. It can:
- improve the opportunity to remove the tumor and possibly prevent a transplant
- increase children’s chance of survival
- help relieve their symptoms
- decrease their exposure to chemotherapy and its side effects (both short- and long-term)
Why Choose Us
Nemours has one of the nation’s only pediatric doctor trained and experienced in using this unique therapy in children. Here are just some of the other reasons families choose us for their child’s liver tumor care:
- large team of experts, including a clinical coordinator (a nurse who provides support, education and care coordination) and specialists in oncology (cancer care), hepatology (liver care), oncologic surgery (cancer surgery), liver transplantation, interventional radiology, anesthesiology, social work and more
- one of the largest pediatric interventional radiology program in the United States (with teams in the Delaware Valley and Florida)
- cutting-edge treatment and technology (the most advanced pediatric interventional radiology services available)
- one of the largest pediatric hematology/oncology programs in the country (when combining our patient numbers from all of our locations)
- one of only two National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Programs (NCORP) in the nation dedicated exclusively to children. Because our care and research go hand-in-hand, your child gets the newest evidenced-based treatments and techniques — and faster.
- one of the nation’s only programs performing advanced liver procedures in children
- leader in surgical results and overall quality of surgical care. Nemours is involved in a nationwide effort to improve surgical care for kids.
- liver transplant and tumor experience (working with local and national liver transplant and liver tumor programs)
- physicians and surgeons recognized as “Best Doctors in America®” and “Top Doctors” by local magazines in our regions, year after year
- expertise from a network of locations. This means your child can get a second, third and fourth opinion without leaving home.
Regional Y90 Radioembolization Highlights
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer Y90 radioembolization therapy at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select satellite Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
- ranked among the nation’s top 20 children’s hospitals for pediatric oncology by U.S. News & World Report
- recognized as one of the “Top Children’s Hospitals” by The Leapfrog Group (2012)
- one of the best in the nation based on our clinical outcomes for pediatric liver transplants (when considered according to how complex a case is and how severe the illness)
We offer Y90 radioembolization therapy at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select satellite Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
- recognized as one of the “Top Children’s Hospitals” by The Leapfrog Group (2014 and 2016)
We offer Y90 radioembolization therapy at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville and select satellite locations.
- Wolfson's Children's Hospital in Jacksonville (where our Nemours doctors provide care) ranked among the nation’s best children’s hospitals for pediatric oncology by U.S. News & World Report