High blood pressure, also called hypertension, is when the force of the blood pushing on the blood vessel walls is too high. High blood pressure in children is more common today, but it often goes undiagnosed. Throughout our system, board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists offer a wide range of cardiology expertise and advanced technology to identify and treat conditions like high blood pressure.
High Blood Pressure
Expert Care for Your Child’s Heart
If your child’s hypertension is caused by a condition like kidney disease, our pediatric experts will work together to make a care plan. And our family-centered approach will keep you at the center of decisions about your child’s treatment.
Services We Offer for High Blood Pressure
We offer extensive diagnostic and treatment services, which may vary depending upon the condition and location, including:
- Cardiology. Your child’s heart specialist may prescribe a medication or combination of medications including statins.
- Cardiac Diagnostic Testing. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages.
- Nephrology (Kidney Care). For high blood pressure caused by kidney disease (called renal hypertension), our experts work together, sometimes in dedicated program days.
- Genetics counseling. Because some pediatric heart conditions are caused, at least in part, by changes in genes or they’re inherited (passed from parent to child).
- Nutrition Services. Our nutrition experts work as part of our Cardiac Center teams to provide education, guidance and motivation for kids who need to stick to a heart healthy diet.
- Preventive Cardiology. Pediatric cardiologists work together with your family to create a plan to help prevent future heart problems.
Why Choose Us For High Blood Pressure Treatment
Our Nemours Cardiac Center experts have the experience to identify and treat all types of heart problems; many are named to the Best Doctors in America® list, year after year. In addition to providing diagnosis and treatment, the Nemours Cardiac Center teams participate in ongoing research with other pediatric cardiac institutions — so every kid can benefit from our experience and have hope for a healthier future.
Regional Highlights of Our Care for High Blood Pressure Care
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer cardiology care for kids with high blood pressure at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
We offer cardiology care for kids with high blood pressure at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital Orlando. In addition, they offer a Pediatric Hypertension Program at the hospital and in multiple specialty care locations where the cardiology and nephrology teams provide care to children with renal hypertension.
We offer cardiology care for kids with high blood pressure at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).