Interrupted aortic arch (IAA) is a rare, congenital (present at birth) heart condition that happens when the aorta (the blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to the rest of the body) does not form completely when a baby is developing in their mother’s womb. All babies born with IAA will need heart surgery soon after they’re born. At Nemours Cardiac Center, we offer leading-edge capabilities to detect heart problems early using fetal cardiac
Interrupted Aortic Arch
Early Diagnosis and Expert Repair for IAA
diagnostics. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons (specialists in surgical procedures of the chest, including the heart and lungs) are here to answer your questions, address your concerns, and help with treatment plans. Our cardiac teams offer the latest in research-backed care, delivered with compassion.
Services We Offer for Interrupted Aortic Arch
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care for IAA and related heart defects. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Fetal Diagnostics. Early detection in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers help us diagnose congenital heart defects like IAA as early as possible, and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born.
- Cardiac Catheterization. A procedure used to diagnose or treat cardiac problems by inserting a thin plastic, flexible tube (called a “catheter”) into an artery or vein, and threading it through the bloodstream into the heart and its large blood vessels.
- Cardiac Diagnostics and Kid-Friendly Imaging. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages.
- Cardiology. Your baby’s cardiologist will use medications like prostaglandin right away, and after surgical repair will work with your family to monitor your child and create a coordinated treatment plan.
- Cardiovascular Genetics Counseling. For conditions like IAA that may be caused, at least in part, by changes in genes.
- ECMO. Also known as extracorporeal life support or “ECLS,” this treats serious problems, using the technology to give hearts and lungs a chance to rest and heal.
- Heart Surgery. All babies with IAA will need surgery, probably within a few days after they’re born. Our pediatric heart surgeons have the experience, skills and advanced technology required to provide swift diagnosis and repair in children of all ages, even the tiniest newborns.
Why Choose Us for Interrupted Aortic Arch Repair and Care
World-class children’s heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to heal even the most complex conditions. Our cardiac surgeons treat a vast array of heart defects in even the tiniest newborns, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches. Our specialty is the early detection and repair of heart problems. Our heart specialists have been recognized for their commitment to delivering top-notch, compassionate care to children with congenital heart disease.
Regional Interrupted Aortic Arch Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer care for babies and newborns with IAA at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
We offer care for babies and newborns with IAA at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including dedicated cardiac anesthesiologists and state-of-the-art cardiac intensive care unit (CICU).
We offer IAA care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).