At Nemours, our team of experts understand how pediatric sports medicine injuries can impact your child — and how each child's individual growth should be taken into consideration with their personalized rehabilitation program. So we do whatever it takes to diagnose and rehabilitate sports medicine injuries in children and get them back in the game — safely.
Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries We Treat
At Nemours' locations offering Sports Medicine, we treat:
- knee: patellar instability, anterior knee pain, anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus tears, cartilage damage
- ankle: ligament tears, instability, cartilage damage
- shoulder: dislocations, impingement and tendonitis
- elbow: Little Leaguer’s elbow, tennis elbow, loose bodies
- spine: spondylolisthesis (when one spine bone slips in relation to the one below it), muscle strains/sprains
- hip: dance, ice hockey and ice skating injuries
- head: concussions
Preventing Pediatric Sports Medicine Injuries
We also focus on preventing an injury before it happens:
- customized conditioning ("prehabilitation") regimens that concentrate on core strengths to prevent overuse injuries and develop good body mechanics
- pre-season screenings
- intervention counseling: when and how to rest, how to play
Locations & Doctors
Hours: Monday and Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment so we have plenty of time to register your child in our system.
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Registration (PDF)
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
Nemours’ expertise in pediatric sports medicine is now available at Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Glen Mills. We provide comprehensive pediatric sports medicine care, including evaluation, treatment, physical therapy and rehabilitation, athletic training and sports nutrition counseling. Our pediatric sports medicine experts come from the renowned orthopedics department at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del.
Pediatric Sports Medicine at Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Glen Mills
Here at our Glen Mills location, we can help young athletes maximize their performance and avoid injury with a range of expert services:
- customized care plans, including strength and conditioning ("prehabilitation") regimens — concentrating on core strengths to prevent overuse injuries and develop proper body mechanics
- evaluation of sports readiness
- preseason screenings
- general conditioning for recreational or competitive sports
- intervention counseling — when and how to rest, and how to properly play
- evaluations of adolescent skeletal maturity
- testing for overuse syndromes
- diagnosis of overload injuries of growth centers such as epiphysitis (inflammation of the cartilage at the end of a bone) or apophysitis (inflammation of a growth on a bone)
- sports nutrition counseling
We welcome referrals from your young athlete’s primary care doctor or pediatrician if there’s a diagnostic question about an injury — or if your child continues to experience pain or limitation as a result of the injury. If you’re concerned that your child’s injury may have a lasting impact on sports performance goals, you may also self-refer your child to our Sports Medicine Program (although, depending on your insurance plan, you may need a referral).
At Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Glen Mills, we can provide comprehensive therapy, training and nutritional support to assist your child in recovering from an injury, help prevent future injury, and achieve maximum performance. Our pediatric sports medicine space includes:
- a comprehensive concussion testing and management program, including baseline ImPACT® (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) and the NeuroCom SMART Equitest® System (which provides objective assessment of balance control and postural stability under dynamic test conditions to reflect the challenges of daily life)
- on-site X-rays and sports medicine care
Your child will benefit from the combined expertise of our interdisciplinary team, including:
- pediatric sports medicine physicians
- certified athletic trainer
- certified strength and conditioning specialists
- physical therapists specializing in sports medicine
Just minutes from Nemours duPont Pediatrics, Glen Mills, you can get more care for pediatric sports injuries — at the Center for Sports Medicine, located on the ground floor of Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del. (named among the best children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report).