Pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum (or PA/IVS) is a congenital heart defect, which means babies are born with it. At Nemours, we offer leading-edge capabilities to detect heart problems early, including in babies still in the womb. If your baby has PA/IVS, our board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and heart surgeons are here to answer your questions and ease your concerns by providing the personalized, experienced care they need.
Pulmonary Atresia With Intact Ventricular Septum
Expert Diagnosis and Care for PA/IVS in Children
And since PA/IVS can range from mild to severe, Nemours Cardiac Center offers the latest diagnostic and treatment options — including heart transplants. Our pediatric heart care teams offer patient families research-backed care, delivered with compassion.
Services We Offer for Pulmonary Atresia with Intact Ventricular Septum
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care for PA/IVS. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Cardiac Catheterization. A procedure used to diagnose or treat cardiac problems by inserting a thin plastic, flexible tube (called a “catheter”) into an artery or vein, and threading it through the bloodstream into the heart and its large blood vessels.
- Cardiac Diagnostics and Kid-Friendly Imaging. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages, including babies still in the womb.
- Cardiology. Your child’s cardiologist will help with medications and monitoring, as well as long-term treatment plans and preventive care.
- Cardiovascular Genetics Counseling. For conditions that are caused, at least in part, by changes in genes.
- ECMO. Also known as extracorporeal life support or “ECLS,” this treats serious problems or assists during procedures, using the technology to give hearts and lungs a chance to rest and heal.
- Fetal Diagnostics. Early detection in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers help us diagnose some congenital heart defects and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born.
- Heart Surgery. We offer advanced procedures for congenital heart disease performed by board-certified, fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgeons.
- Heart Transplants (available in the Delaware Valley only). In severe cases, a heart transplant may be needed.
Why Choose Us for PA/IVS Repair and Care
Our Nemours Cardiac Center team has the experience to provide diagnosis, treatment, and surgical repair of rare pediatric heart disease like pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum. World-class heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to heal even the most complex conditions. Our cardiac surgeons treat a vast array of heart defects in infants, children and teens, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches. Our specialty is the early detection and repair of heart problems, so your child will have the best possible chance for a healthy future.
Regional Pulmonary Atresia with Intact Ventricular Septum Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer PA/IVS care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
We offer PA/IVS care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including dedicated cardiac anesthesiologists and state-of-the-art cardiac intensive care unit (CICU).
We offer PA/IVS care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).