Pulmonary hypertension is a form of pediatric high blood pressure that affects the arteries of the lungs and right side of the heart. This condition can slow blood flow and cause your child’s heart to work harder than usual. Over time, this extra work weakens the heart, and can even cause heart failure. If your child is diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, you can trust the pediatric heart care in our Nemours Cardiac Center. Our board-
Expert, Supportive Care for Pulmonary Hypertension in Children
certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons (specialists in surgical procedures of the chest, including the heart and lungs) are here to answer your questions, address your concerns, and offer treatment options — including long-term medication management and transplants. Our cardiac teams offer the latest in research-backed care, delivered with compassion.
Services We Offer for Pulmonary Hypertension
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care to diagnose and treat PH. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Cardiac Catheterization. A procedure used to diagnose or treat cardiac problems by inserting a thin plastic, flexible tube (called a “catheter”) into an artery or vein and threading it through the bloodstream into the heart and its large blood vessels.
- Cardiac Diagnostics and Kid-Friendly Imaging. State-of-the-art, noninvasive, and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages, including babies still in the womb.
- Cardiology. A combination of medications will be used to manage PH, including some given by surgically placed IV. Your child’s cardiologist will work with you to monitor symptoms and create a treatment plan just for your child.
- ECMO. Also known as extracorporeal life support or “ECLS,” this treats serious problems and uses the technology to give hearts and lungs a chance to rest and heal.
- Genetics Counseling. Your child may have a higher risk of pulmonary hypertension due to inherited (passed from parent to child) conditions.
- Heart Surgery. If medications aren’t enough, your child’s heart specialist may recommend an open-heart procedure called an atrial septostomy.
- Nutrition Services. Our nutrition experts work as part of our Cardiac Center teams to provide education, guidance and motivation for kids who need to stick to a heart-healthy diet.
- Preventive Cardiology. Pediatric cardiologists work together with your family to create a plan to help prevent future heart problems, including lifestyle and activities.
- Heart Transplants (available in the Delaware Valley only). In severe cases of PH, a heart transplant may be needed.
Why Choose Us for Pulmonary Hypertension Treatment
World-class pediatric heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to manage even the most complex conditions. Our Nemours Cardiac Center teams treat a vast array of heart conditions, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches. Our specialty is the early detection of congenital heart disease. In addition to providing diagnosis and treatment, the Nemours Cardiac Center teams participate in ongoing research with other pediatric cardiac institutions — so every child can benefit from our experience and have hope for a healthier future.
Regional Pulmonary Hypertension Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer pulmonary hypertension care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
Our Palliative and Supportive Care Program located at duPont Hospital for Children in Delaware provides compassionate care for families and children coping with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions.
We offer pulmonary hypertension care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including dedicated cardiac anesthesiologists and state-of-the-art cardiac intensive care unit (CICU).
Our cardiologists also offer a Pediatric Hypertension Program at the hospital and in multiple specialty care locations where the cardiology and nephrology teams provide coordinated care to children who have hypertension caused by kidney conditions or treatments.
We offer pulmonary hypertension care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).