Soft tissue sarcoma is a type of cancer where tumors grow in the connective tissues that support the body, like muscles, nerves, fat cells, tendons and joint linings. Soft tissue sarcomas can grow anywhere, but they most often grow in the tissue around the arms, legs, shoulders, and stomach. It’s a rare cancer, and although the cause is not known, you can rely on our pediatric experience to help us identify the cause of your child’s symptoms, and to help you through every step of your child’s medical journey.
Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Experience and Excellence in Rare Childhood Cancers
Types of Soft Tissue Sarcomas We Treat
In our Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, we work with other pediatric specialists to diagnose and treat all types of soft tissue sarcomas, including:
- rhabdomyosarcomas or “RMS” (the most common pediatric soft tissue sarcoma)
- desmoid tumors
- desmoplastic small round cell tumors
- peripheral nerve sheath tumor
- synovial cell sarcoma
Services We Offer for Soft Tissue Sarcoma
We offer a variety of diagnostic and treatment services, which may vary depending on your location, including:
- chemotherapy (cancer medicines)
- genetic testing because some soft tissue sarcomas may be linked to genetic conditions like Li-Fraumeni syndrome or neurofibromatosis
- immunotherapy helps the body’s own immune system destroy tumors
- integrative medicine includes non-medical therapies like massage, yoga, water therapy
- interventional radiology is a minimally invasive way to perform biopsies, targeted chemotherapy, and other imaging and treatment
- orthopedic care to check for tumors and monitor milestones as your child grows
- pain management to ease symptoms as they develop, or discomfort after surgery and treatments
- palliative care helps with symptoms and offers support for your child and family
- pathologists diagnose soft tissue sarcoma with blood tests, urine tests, and other lab work
- radiation and proton therapy to target tumors
- radiology (medical imaging) such as X-rays, CT scans and MRIs
- registered dietitians help with nutrition support during chemotherapy and beyond
- surgery by board-certified pediatric general surgeons to remove tumors
Why Choose Us for Soft Tissue Sarcoma Treatment
Our Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (or “NCCBD”) is a multi-site team of pediatric oncology experts and we work closely, even across geographical lines, to treat rare pediatric cancers like soft tissue sarcoma through coordinated efforts like our tumor board. At Nemours, In addition to being a Children’s Oncology Group (COG) member institution, we’re also one of only two pediatric National Cancer Institute-designated Community Oncology Research Programs (NCORPs) in the nation. We also offer:
- collaborations with our affiliates to offer the most advanced treatment options
- monitoring and follow-up cancer care including late-effects, other specialty care and teen survivor programs
- supportive services for your child and family today, and for the long term
Regional Soft Tissue Sarcoma Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams for soft tissue sarcoma differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete soft tissue sarcoma care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We collaborate with the National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Helen F. Graham Cancer Center at Christiana Care (in Newark, Del.) and the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University (in Philadelphia).
Our Palliative and Supportive Care Program located at duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) provides compassionate care for families and children coping with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions.
We offer complete soft tissue sarcoma care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
We offer proton therapy as part of our collaboration with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).
We offer complete soft tissue sarcoma care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville. Outpatient and follow-up appointments are available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Nemours pediatric specialists provide the cancer care at our affiliate, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, named one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
We’re also part of an integrated pediatric program with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).