Osteogenesis imperfecta (OI), also called “brittle bone disease,” is a rare genetic disorder that affects the formation and strength of bones. Children born with OI have bones that break easily, often with little or no obvious cause. With the proper medical treatment and supportive care, most kids with OI can reach their full potential. At Nemours, our goal is to help kids build bone mass and muscle strength, manage their symptoms, and be as active as possible.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI)
Expert Care for Kids With Brittle Bone Disease
Services We Offer for Osteogenesis Imperfecta
Some kids will need more extensive care than others, and our services may vary depending upon the location and doctor you see:
- fetal diagnostic testing in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers to help us diagnose OI and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born
- assistive technology to help kids communicate, learn and get around
- genetic testing to assist with diagnosis and family planning
- neonatal care for expert infant medical care right after birth
- orthopedic care from one of the largest and most widely respected pediatric programs in the world, providing innovative work in fractures, spine surgery and limb realignment
- orthotics and prosthetics shops that can be custom-made right in the hospital using state-of-the-art materials
- pain management to assist with fracture and post-surgical care
- physical medicine and rehabilitation offers physical, occupational and speech therapy
- plastic surgery for any reconstruction your child might need for function and appearance
- psychology and social work to help your child emotionally cope with OI
- radiology (medical imaging) for advanced images of the bones and joints
- surgery by board-certified pediatric neurosurgeons for treatment of problems affecting the nerves or brain
- transition of care when it’s time for adult care and services
Why Choose Us for Osteogenesis Imperfecta Treatment
Nemours Children’s Health System has been recognized for delivering advanced pediatric orthopedic care since 1940. Our Osteogenesis Imperfecta Program in Wilmington, Delaware is one of the world’s leading programs for the treatment of OI. And because we’re a system, Nemours offers a dedicated team of experts in more than 30 medical and surgical specialties who come together to create a roadmap of care for children with this rare genetic disorder. We also offer:
- international leaders in pediatric research and care in orthopedics
- world class facilities and innovative surgical techniques
- coordinated care for your child and family that includes support services, including help with community resources
Regional Osteogenesis Imperfecta Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams for osteogenesis imperfecta (OI) differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete orthopedic care for children with osteogenesis imperfecta at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando), with outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
We offer a comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation program at Nemours Children’s Hospital. It’s one of only four multispecialty pediatric inpatient rehabilitation programs in all of Florida — and the only one in Central Florida.