Tumors of the brain and spinal cord (which together make up the central nervous system or “CNS”), are the second most common pediatric solid tumors and can happen to a child at any age. Some pediatric brain tumors are benign (not cancer) and some are cancer, which means they can spread to other parts of the body. Within our internationally recognized Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, our renowned oncologists (cancer doctors) work together with the experts in our neurology and neurosurgery programs to identify and treat CNS tumors in a child as early as possible. Kids from across the world, even the tiniest newborns, come to us for our world-class skills and expertise.
Recognized Teams for CNS Tumors
Types of Brain Tumors We Treat
Our pediatric cancer doctors, neurosurgeons and neurologists, are experts at treating all types of brain tumors (even complex and rare types), including:
- gliomas (astrocytomas, brain stem, optic nerve, mixed)
- choroid plexus tumors
- germ cell tumors
- neurilemmomas (also called “schwannomas”)
- supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumors (S-PNET)
Services We Offer for Brain Tumors
We offer a variety of diagnostic and treatment services, which may vary depending on your location, including:
- chemotherapy (cancer medicines)
- genetic testing since some tumors may be related to conditions like von Hippel-Lindau disease, Li-Fraumeni syndrome or neurofibromatosis
- palliative care helps with symptoms and offers support for your child and family
- radiology (medical imaging) such as X-rays, CT scans and MRIs
- neurology care from specialists in the brain and spinal cord
- ophthalmology (eye) care with experience treating tumors that affect children’s vision
- pain management for post-surgical pain and headaches
- physical medicine and rehabilitation offers physical, occupational and speech therapy
- proton therapy (an advanced form of radiation therapy)
- radiation therapy including intensity-modulated radiotherapy or “IMRT”
- surgery by board-certified pediatric neurosurgeons to remove tumors
Why Choose Us for Brain Tumor Treatment
Our Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (or “NCCBD”) is a multisite team of pediatric oncology experts and we work closely, even across geographical lines, to treat pediatric brain tumors. To help give kids the best possible care, we’re also actively involved in pediatric cancer research and we offer many opportunities for clinical trial enrollment.
At Nemours, in addition to being a member of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG) , we’re one of only three pediatric National Cancer Institute-designated Community Oncology Research Programs (NCORPs) in the nation. We also offer:
- our NCCBD tumor board of top pediatric physicians and scientists working in different specialties who meet every week to review complex and rare cancers
- collaborations with our affiliates for the most advanced treatment options
- fully equipped neurosurgery operating rooms
- monitoring and follow-up cancer care including late-effects, other specialty care and teen survivor programs
- supportive services for your child and family today, and for the long term
Regional Brain Tumor Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and teams for brain tumor care differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete brain tumor care for kids at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
We collaborate with the National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Helen F. Graham Cancer Center at Christiana Care (in Newark, Del.) and the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University (in Philadelphia).
We offer complete brain tumor care for kids at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
We offer proton therapy as part of our collaboration with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).
We offer complete brain tumor care for kids at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville. Outpatient and follow-up appointments are available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Nemours specialists provide the neurology care and work closely with the neurosurgeons in the Stys Neuroscience Institute at our affiliate, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, named one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
We’re also part of an integrated pediatric program with UF Health/Shands , the nation’s largest proton therapy provider and a State of Florida Cancer Center of Excellence (and the only one in the Southeast).