Pulmonary embolism (or “PE”) happens when one of the arteries in the lungs is blocked by a blood clot. A PE is usually caused by blood clots that begin in the deep veins of the legs, then travel up to the arteries in the lungs. This blocks blood flow to the lungs, which makes PE a life-threatening condition — so getting immediate treatment for your child is critical. Kids-only emergency care is available 24 hours a day at our hospitals, in addition to our Nemours
Expert and Emergency Care for PE in Children
Cardiac Centers. Our pediatric heart care teams work with other Nemours specialists to deliver expert, compassionate care to children with pulmonary embolism. Pulmonary embolism in children is rare, but we work closely with your child and family on your child’s road to better health.
Services We Offer for Pulmonary Embolism
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Cardiac Catheterization. A procedure used to diagnose or treat cardiac problems by inserting a thin plastic, flexible tube (called a “catheter”) into an artery or vein and threading it through the bloodstream into the heart and its large blood vessels. If your child has a large clot, your child’s heart specialist may recommend a clot-removing procedure using this method combined with other treatments.
- Cardiac Diagnostics and Kid-Friendly Imaging. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages. We can usually diagnose a pulmonary embolism with either a CT scan or an echocardiogram (“echo”).
- Cardiology. Your child may need to take medications such as blood thinners or clot dissolvers. This helps to break up the clots, keep the clot from getting bigger, and prevent more clots from forming.
- Emergency Care (Wilmington, Delaware and Orlando, Florida). Available 24/7 at our freestanding hospitals, our highly trained doctors are board-certified in both pediatrics and pediatric emergency medicine.
- Heart Surgery. Our pediatric heart surgeons have the experience, skills and advanced technology needed to provide swift diagnosis and repair in children of all ages, even the tiniest newborns.
Why Choose Us for Pulmonary Embolism Diagnosis and Treatment
World-class pediatric heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to heal even the most complex conditions. Our Nemours Cardiac Center teams treat a vast array of heart conditions, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches. Our specialty is the early detection and repair of heart problems. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons (specialists in surgical procedures of the chest, including the heart and lungs) have been recognized for their commitment to delivering top-notch, compassionate care to children.
Regional Pulmonary Embolism Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer PE care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
We offer PE care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
If your child needs emergency care for PE, our Nemours Children’s Hospital in Lake Nona Medical City area of Orlando is available 24/7 and offers full-service emergency care that treats only children.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including dedicated cardiac anesthesiologists and state-of-the-art cardiac intensive care unit (CICU).
We offer PE care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).