Transposition of the great arteries (TGA) is a rare but serious congenital (present at birth) heart defect where the two main arteries leaving a baby’s heart are in the wrong position. All babies with TGA will need heart surgery soon after they’re born. At Nemours Cardiac Center, we offer leading-edge capabilities to detect heart problems early using fetal cardiac diagnostics. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric cardiologists and
Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA)
Expert Care for Rare Congenital Heart Conditions
cardiothoracic surgeons (specialists in surgical procedures of the chest, including the heart and lungs) are here to answer your questions, address your concerns, and help with treatment plans. Our cardiac teams offer the latest in research-backed care, delivered with compassion.
Services We Offer for TGA
The expert teams in our Nemours Cardiac Center locations offer a full range of pediatric heart care to diagnose and treat TGA. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- Fetal Diagnostics. Early detection in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers help us diagnose some congenital heart defects and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born.
- ECMO. Also known as extracorporeal life support or “ECLS,” this treats serious problems like TGA and uses the technology to give hearts and lungs a chance to rest and heal.
- Cardiac Catheterization. A procedure used to diagnose or treat cardiac problems by inserting a thin plastic, flexible tube (called a “catheter”) into an artery or vein, and threading it through the bloodstream into the heart and its large blood vessels.
- Cardiac Diagnostics. State-of-the-art, noninvasive and minimally invasive tests for kids of all ages, including babies still in the womb.
- Cardiology. Your child’s cardiologist will help with medications and monitoring, as well as long-term treatment plans and preventive cardiology care.
- Cardiovascular Genetics Counseling. For conditions that are caused, at least in part, by changes in genes.
- Heart Surgery. All babies born with TGA will need surgery within a few days of being born.
Why Choose Us for Transposition of the Great Arteries Repair
World-class heart care requires the compassion to understand your family's journey, and the expertise to heal even the most complex conditions. Our cardiac surgeons treat a vast array of heart defects in even the tiniest newborns, using the most innovative, up-to-date approaches. Our specialty is the early detection and repair of heart problems, so your child will have the best possible chance for a healthy future.
Regional TGA Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer care for newborns and children with TGA and AV discordant connections at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
The Nemours Cardiac Center located at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News and World Report.
Our Palliative and Supportive Care Program located at duPont Hospital for Children in Delaware provides compassionate care for families and children coping with life-threatening or life-limiting conditions.
We offer care for newborns and children with TGA at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our renowned pediatric cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery team at the Nemours Cardiac Center in Central Florida offers inpatient, critical and surgical care at Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando — including dedicated cardiac anesthesiologists and state-of-the-art cardiac intensive care unit (CICU).
We offer TGA care at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Pensacola and our hospital affiliate, West Florida Healthcare, with outpatient and follow-up appointments also available at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Cardiac Center in Pensacola is home to one of the few accredited pediatric transthoracic and fetal echocardiography labs in Florida and, if needed, can facilitate the transfer of extremely ill children between our Nemours Cardiac Center locations (e.g., to Nemours Children’s Hospital).