Our pediatric orthotics specialists use prefabricated or custom-made orthotics for children to provide support and increase mobility for kids who are born with or develop any number of musculoskeletal abnormalities or conditions.
The term "ortho" means to correct or straighten. When you think of pediatric orthotics, you may picture the simple devices worn in shoes to improve mobility and decrease pain. While shoe inserts are, indeed, orthotics, there are many more complex solutions available for a broad range of conditions affecting the bones, muscles and joints.
Pediatric orthotics help to improve children’s gait (how they walk), as well as support the spine, upper extremities or lower extremities.
Some examples of pediatric orthotics include:
- ankle foot orthoses (also called AFOs)
- leg braces
- hand and wrist splints
- shoulder and elbow braces
- body braces
For Appointments: (302) 651-4200
To schedule an appointment with one of our pediatric orthotics experts, call (302) 651-4200.
- hard copies or electronic copies of all imaging studies including X-rays, MRI, or CT scans
- photo ID
- medical and pharmacy insurance cards
- preferred pharmacy name and phone number
- names and dosage of all medications, including over-the-counter medication, your child is currently taking
- guardianship and custody papers, if a legal guardian rather than a parent accompanies your child
- Patient Presents Without Legal Guardian (PDF)
English | Spanish
Note: A parent or legal guardian must be with a child for a first visit.
Resources for Patients & Families
At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, named one of the best children’s hospitals in the country for Orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report, our pediatric orthotics specialists treat the whole child, not just the condition.
The compassionate expertise of our specialists — coupled with our child-centered, family-oriented atmosphere — helps to minimize the stress families and patients often experience throughout the evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation process of common conditions that require pediatric orthotics.
Conditions We Help With Pediatric Orthotics
Our specialists develop customized pediatric orthotics to provide support and increase mobility for those who are born with or develop any number of musculoskeletal abnormalities or conditions, including:
Our Comprehensive Pediatric Orthotics Program
At Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, we offer top-quality pediatric orthotics services that include:
- Gait and Motion Analysis Lab, which uses a computer to capture a 3-D model of your child’s walk — to help us determine which type of pediatric orthotic will best support your child’s pattern of movement
- fittings and adjustments by certified orthotists: (specialists who fit and fabricate braces and other supports) to ensure your child’s comfort and stability. In some cases, we can fabricate a custom brace for your child on the same day it’s prescribed by our doctors
- thorough follow-up care, since children’s rapid growth often means their orthotics will need to be re-checked frequently and may require some modification
Whatever kind of pediatric orthotics your child needs, know that at Nemours we do whatever it takes to give your child the very best, most compassionate care possible. We treat every child as we would our own — your child, our promise.