Sometimes children need special shoes, leg braces, casts or surgery to help them walk better. Each child’s way of walking, stepping or running (called their “gait”) is different. At Nemours, our Gait & Motion Analysis Lab builds a three-dimensional (3-D) computer model of your child’s gait to help us figure out what might be causing gait problems and create a special treatment plan.
Gait & Motion Analysis
Improving How Kids Walk
Our gait analysis lab is one of just 10 in the country with full accreditation and one of only two in the region based in a pediatric hospital. We have the highest level of clinical and technical excellence in movement analysis. That means we can offer children the best possible care in evaluating their gait and motion challenges. We’re here to help kids with gait problems reach their full potential.
Services We Offer
At the Gait & Motion Analysis Lab, we place electrodes and reflective markers on your child to measure their muscle activity and track the motion in different parts of their body. We use video cameras, computers and pressure plates to collect detailed information about your child’s gait and help us figure out what’s going on.
Our gait analysis experts work together to collect and interpret the data. Our team includes a:
- biomechanist (who runs the computer technology, collects the data, and processes it for the report)
- orthopedic surgeon (who leads the team in understanding the data and recommending treatment options)
- physical therapist (who supervises and guides your child through all of the testing procedures and helps educate your family)
The data we collect, along with a physical exam, can help us identify ways to improve your child’s ability to walk, step and run. That might include occupational therapy (OT), physical therapy (PT), medications, orthotics (inserts or braces), and/or surgery.
Why Choose Us
Families choose Nemours because we’re experts at diagnosing and treating gait problems in children. Our lab was one of the first — and is still one of very few — in the country that specializes in working with kids and teens. And, the orthopedic surgeons and doctors we work with are among the very best in their field. Together, we’re actively involved in studies and clinical trials to look for better ways to diagnose and treat childhood orthopedic and neuromuscular diseases.
Highlights of Our Gait & Motion Analysis
Services, programs and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer gait analysis at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.).
- regularly ranked among the top 10 children’s hospitals in the country for pediatric orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report
- tate-of-the-art computer technology to diagnose gait problems
- internationally renowned skeletal dysplasia (dwarfism) and cerebral palsy expertise
- world-class muscular dystrophy program
- nationally noted, complete scoliosis/spinal deformities program
- pediatric sports medicine program that focuses on injury rehabilitation, prevention and performance improvement
- pediatric outpatient therapy services program that’s one of the only in the region accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- certified hand, occupational physical and speech/language therapists
- wheelchair clinic and assistive technology to help kids get around, communicate and learn
- state-of-the-art cast room and on-site brace fitting, orthotic and prosthetic shops
- indoor pediatric therapy pool (the largest of its kind in the tristate area)