Fax: (321) 388-0105
Programs & Services
Nemours Children’s Hospital provides expert maternal-fetal and perinatal care to Central Florida moms-to-be facing high-risk pregnancies or problems with their unborn child. Although we don’t deliver babies, we co-manage care with mom’s doctors and coordinate services focused on baby’s health before, during and after birth.
Services We Offer
The Nemours Center for Fetal Care team customizes services to your needs. We understand you want answers now, so we see you in days (not weeks), and share results during your first visit.
Mom’s health benefits baby, so we’re here from the start with pre-pregnancy consults, high-risk pregnancy planning and prenatal evaluations for patients with:
- diabetes, high blood pressure or advanced age (more than 34 years old)
- problems with past pregnancies (miscarriage)
- maternal conditions at birth (congenital heart disease)
- genetic or inherited conditions (mom, dad and family)
- multiples (twins, triplets) or fertility assistance (in vitro fertilization)
If there’s a concern for baby’s health, we coordinate fetal tests, imaging and consults, and help you make the best decisions for your family. We offer:
- amniocentesis (to test fluid from the uterus)
- chorionic villus sampling, or CVS (to test cells from the placenta)
- fetal echocardiography (to view heart structure, function and rhythm)
- fetal MRI (to view organs and internal structures)
- perinatal blood tests (for conditions in baby and mom)
- ultrasound (conventional and 3-D imaging)
With an early diagnosis, we can plan the best possible care after your baby is born. The perinatologist and team will:
- coordinate care with pediatric subspecialists
- collaborate with your family and doctors
- arrange and explain every detail before delivery
- orchestrate the big day
- schedule newborn follow-up
Conditions & Treatments
Nemours specialists can diagnose most common and complex congenital conditions before birth and correct many within hours of delivery.
Conditions We Diagnose & Treat
- congenital heart disease and rhythm disorders (arrhythmia, ventricular defects, coarctation of the aorta, tetralogy of Fallot)
- congenital infections (cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, Zika virus, syphilis)
- digestive tract and intestinal problems (bowel atresia, gastroschisis, congenital diaphragmatic hernia)
- neurologic disorders (hydrocephalus, spina bifida, choroid plexus cysts)
- orthopedic conditions (clubfoot, limb length deficiencies, skeletal dysplasia)
- urologic and nephrologic disorders (ambiguous genitalia, hydronephrosis, vesicoureteral reflux)
Treatments & Services We Offer After Birth
- neonatal critical care (level II and IIIc neonatal intensive care unit/NICU equipped with extracorporeal mechanical oxygenation/ECMO life support)
- neonatal surgery (open and minimally invasive general and subspecialty procedures, including advanced cardiothoracic surgery)
- interventional radiology services (image-guided techniques to diagnose and treat conditions without surgery)
- ongoing care in a network connected by one electronic health record system (pediatric primary, specialty, urgent, hospital and online visits from birth to adolescence)
Why Choose Us
The Center for Fetal Care is led by Armando Fuentes, MD who is board-certified in both obstetrics-gynecology and maternal-fetal medicine. He brings recognized expertise to Nemours Children's Hospital, having built successful programs in Orlando and Valley Children's Hospital in California.
Families choose us for:
- same-day consultation and diagnosis explanation with Dr. Fuentes
- seamless follow-up care coordinated by a perinatal nurse in contact with your obstetrician/gynecologist
- skilled team, including nurses and sonographers with advanced training in women’s and fetal health
- comprehensive fetal heart diagnostics and treatment from experts at the Nemours Cardiac Center
- immediate access to board-certified pediatric specialists, many ranked among the “Best Doctors in America®,” year after year
- advanced newborn treatment and ongoing care by specialists on the team from the start
Language(s) Spoken: English and Spanish. Interpreter services are available.
Doctors & Care Teams
Armando Fuentes, MD, MBA
Director, Nemours Center for Fetal Care
Chair, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine/Perinatology
Nemours Children’s Hospital
Patient Services Specialist/Scheduler
Perinatal & Pediatric Subspecialists You May See
- cardiologist, cardiothoracic surgeon (heart, chest)
- general pediatric surgeon (digestive tract, intestines)
- genetic counselor (assess for inherited conditions)
- neonatologist (critical care for newborns)
- neurologist, neurosurgeon (brain, spinal cord, central nervous system)
- orthopedist, orthopedic surgeon (muscles, bones, joints)
- sonographers (fetal and perinatal specialists)
- urologist, nephrologist (kidneys, bladder, genitals)
Map & Directions
Conveniently located in Orlando’s Lake Nona, just minutes from Orlando International Airport.
Referrals: Depending on your insurance, you may not need a referral. Please ask when you call for your appointment.
Arrival Time: Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment.
What to Expect: We schedule multiple tests and consults on the same day, often during your first visit.
Note: Please arrange child care for children under 10 years old.
Routine care and advice for newborns to age 18.
Open nights and weekends, including holidays; 365 days a year.