Nemours is world-renowned for treating skeletal dysplasias, including cartilage hair hypoplasia (CHH). The name “cartilage hair hypoplasia” comes from the small amount of fine hair people with this condition have. It’s also sometimes called metaphyseal dysplasia, McKusick type. If your child has CHH, or you need to get a diagnosis, we’re here to help. Our Nemours experts have the experience and training to answer your questions, ease your concerns, and build a coordinated long-term care team to help your child live life to the fullest.
Cartilage Hair Hypoplasia
Internationally Recognized Treatment for CHH and Related Complications
Services We Offer for Cartilage Hair Hypoplasia
Nemours offers a full range of care for newborns, kids and teens with cartilage hair hypoplasia. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- advanced medical imaging to monitor changes in the bones and joints, as well as organs and digestive systems
- gastroenterology helps with nutrition support and serious intestinal and GI conditions that happen with cartilage hair hypoplasia, especially Hirschsprung disease
- genetic testing to assist with diagnosis and family planning
- hematology and oncology specialists treat anemia and work to boost kids’ immune systems to prevent the cancers that affect these children as they grow
- orthopedic care from one of the largest and most widely respected pediatric programs in the world, providing innovative surgical procedures to correct bowing of the legs and problems with the hips and spine
- pain management to help with symptoms or post-surgery pain
- physical medicine and rehabilitation offer physical, occupational and speech therapy
- plastic surgery for reconstruction needed for function and appearance
- psychology and social work to help your child emotionally cope with their condition
- transition of care when it’s time for adult care and services
Why Choose Us for Cartilage Hair Hypoplasia Diagnosis and Care
Nemours Children’s Health System has been recognized for delivering advanced pediatric orthopedic care since 1940. Families from all over the world travel to see our skeletal dysplasia experts. Our genetics doctors have the experience and training to diagnose even the rarest types of skeletal dysplasia, like cartilage hair hypoplasia. Once we’ve identified your child’s condition, our care teams work together to create a personalized treatment plan that meets your family’s needs.
Our care navigators coordinate appointments since most kids need to see different specialists, and some may need multiple surgeries. We also help kids with cartilage hair hypoplasia achieve the highest possible function and quality of life through access to Nemours experts, clinical programs and support services, including:
- clinical trials research opportunities
- support services and community resources
Regional Cartilage Hair Hypoplasia Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete care for children with cartilage hair hypoplasia at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric orthopedics and surgery by U.S. News and World Report .
We offer complete care for children with cartilage hair hypoplasia at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville and our hospital affiliates, Wolfson Children’s Hospital and Mayo Clinic in Florida, with outpatient and follow-up appointments available at select Nemours locations.
Nemours orthopedic specialists provide the care and orthopedic surgery and hold dual physician leadership roles at Wolfson Children’s Hospital’s orthopedics team, ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the 50 best children’s hospitals in the nation for orthopedics.